Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Energi keeps dying, requires jumps, CEL on, charge errors

2013 Energi, had it for 6 months. About 3K miles so far. 

Every week or two now it throws a charge error, after I go to work, it keeps asking if the car is plugged in (it is not) forcing me to tell it "no" on the dashboard. Then it will keeps sending me emails saying it's waiting to charge. The 12v battery will die before my workday is done, so I have to get the car jumped. This is even when the big battery in the trunk still has miles of charge left. The CEL just got turned on this most recent occurrence. 

I've taken it to the dealership twice already and I'm going to take it back tomorrow. Aside from giving me the December update they complain that they can't do anything. Hopefully this time they will be able to scan the CEL codes and figure out what is happening. 

Anyone here have any ideas? 

2013 Energi, had it for 6 months. About 3K miles so far. 

Every week or two now it throws a charge error, after I go to work, it keeps asking if the car is plugged in (it is not) forcing me to tell it "no" on the dashboard. Then it will keeps sending me emails saying it's waiting to charge. The 12v battery will die before my workday is done, so I have to get the car jumped. This is even when the big battery in the trunk still has miles of charge left. The CEL just got turned on this most recent occurrence. ...

I want to help get this resolved for you. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll look at some options. :)

Ashley

Took it in to the dealership this morning. After looking at it, they told me they have to keep it overnight. They are giving me a complimentary rental, which is very nice. They are going to give me an update on the situation tomorrow. I hope they figure out the problem because I miss driving the car already!

Took it in to the dealership this morning. After looking at it, they told me they have to keep it overnight. They are giving me a complimentary rental, which is very nice. They are going to give me an update on the situation tomorrow. I hope they figure out the problem because I miss driving the car already!

If you have adaptive cruise control on your Energi be careful using cruise control on the loaner.  It will run you right into the back of the car in front of you.

Here is the text of the email that I receive from fordmobile:

We thought you would like to know that Fusion Energi is scheduled to begin charging but the start of charging has not yet occurred. Please ensure Fusion Energi is plugged in and there are no problems with your charging station.

It sends this message only when the car is not plugged in. It seems like the car doesn't realize it is not plugged in, and is expecting to charge.

Being in this error state for just a few hours causes the car to totally drain the 12v battery and require a jumpstart. The car is remaining in this error state even after receiving a jump. Additionally, the car refuses to produce a vehicle health report via the touchscreen, saying "vehicle must have over 200 miles" even though it actually has 3,600 miles. The car had its software updated to the latest version a few months ago.

The dealership is going to give me a status update tomorrow. They have been very communicative and helpful so far. 

Edited by 655321

Mine has just done the same thing, but it went away again, it seems like it is addressed in TSB 13-7-11:

13-5-02: Wrench lamp various trouble codes

13-5-18: Trunk sagging when spoiler present

13-5-22: ABS indicator

13-5-24: Half shaft clicking/popping

13-6-22: Check engine light various trouble codes (superseded by TSB 13-11-11)

13-6-23: Cold weather charging (supersedes TSB 13-5-1 which is also included in post)

13-6-25: Is vehicle plugged in error indicator (superseded by TSB 13-7-11)

13-7-11: Is vehicle plugged in error indicator

13-9-13: Lack of 120V/240V Charging and DTCs P0D08 and/or P0D0F

13-10-4: LOSS OF ONE-TOUCH-UP POWER WINDOW OPERATION - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/30/2013

13-11-11: Check engine light various trouble codes

13-11-01: Wrench/Engine Light with DTC U0284 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 5/31/2013

13-9-05: Fuel tank gurgle/slosh

13-5-28 Climate Control System Cold Air During Remote Start

I will have to take it in, but my wife's fusion energi is currently in the shop for the 4th time in 2 months (since we bought it).

1) Battery replacement, 2) reprogramming after CEL on, 3) Speaker replacement due to rattling, 4) whole rear shelf replacement after damage during dealer servicing of 3). 

This is getting tedious, though I like the cars.  We bought 2 on consectutive days.

Edited by eeeny