Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2 questions from a new owner

vett93

I traded in my EVO and leased a silver FFE Titanium finally. This marked the end of my muscle/high-performance car era and the start of green car era! The new car is quite comfortable.

I have two questions and would appreciate some comments.

1. What is the small white ring around my current location on the Navigation screen? It is not the range ring and I turned off that setting already. This small white ring blinks and is quite annoying. How do I turn it off?

2. How do I turn off the interior heating function to improve EV range? It is not cold here in the SF Bay area. I do it by lowering the temperature and turning off the AC. Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

David

Congratulations Dave!

Here is the answer to question #1.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1866-blinking-circle-on-nav-system/

There are Range Rings for the Nav that you can turn on/off. Those show you the predicted range you might be able to reach on battery power only. Only works when using EV Now.

The annoying blinking white circle cannot be turned on/off....perhaps until enough of us complain to Ford and they decide to offer an update.

The key to getting just outside air through the vent is to be sure that you have selected the panel vent and that your temperature is set to LO.  You can adjust the fan speed to whatever suits you.

If you don't select the panel vent or the floor vent, the system will place itself in Auto mode and the AC compressor will run if you have the temperature at LO.

I want to be able to use AC in the day time when it is hot. But I don't want to use battery for heat in the morning when it is chilly out. So I plan to do the following. Please comment if it will work as desired.

Set the temperature at 70 degrees and use "Auto" for the climate. In the morning, as soon as I turn on the car, I set it on "EV later" mode. This should get the ICE running. Then after 2 miles, I change it from "EV later" mode to "Auto" mode. My commute is 17 miles each way. The heat from the coolant should last the whole trip. 

So the question is as follows. When I use "EV later" mode, will the car use battery to heat up the car? Thanks.

EV later does not automatically start the ICE.  It puts the Energi in hybrid mode.  There are a lot of parameters that determine when the ICE starts.  They include outside temperature, inside temperature, charge level in the hybrid battery, power demand based on accelerator position, and who knows what else.  If the ICE is not running it will use the HVB to generate heat.  The only way to prevent heat generation from the HVB, that I am aware of, is to turn the climate control system off.

Preconditioning the car, which works best with a 240 volt charger, is the best way to get the car ready to go.

I want to be able to use AC in the day time when it is hot. But I don't want to use battery for heat in the morning when it is chilly out. So I plan to do the following. Please comment if it will work as desired.

Set the temperature at 70 degrees and use "Auto" for the climate. In the morning, as soon as I turn on the car, I set it on "EV later" mode. This should get the ICE running. Then after 2 miles, I change it from "EV later" mode to "Auto" mode. My commute is 17 miles each way. The heat from the coolant should last the whole trip. 

So the question is as follows. When I use "EV later" mode, will the car use battery to heat up the car? Thanks.

How long the engine needs to run in order for the thermostat to open and circulate the warmed coolant to the climate system will depend on outside temperature and how hard the engine is running.  I have done the same thing and it works.  I agree that it makes sense to use wasted heat from the engine to warm the interior rather than to burn electricity.

If I remember correctly, the climate system will use battery power to heat the coolant in EV Later mode just as in Auto mode until the engine warms up.  If you want to avoid using battery power, leave the climate system off until you think the engine has warmed up.  I have the "Climate/Other" indicator as one of my "My View" displays.  This allows me to monitor when the battery is being taxed and how much.

As murphy notes, if you have 240V available, GO times are the best way to get the car to the temperature you desire.