Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Normal Hybrid Car Behavior

FormerFF

Even when I'm driving the Energi in "EV Later" mode, it seems like the engine is seldom on. If I'm going down a hill or mostly off the accelerator, the engine is off. Is this normal behavior for non-plug in hybrids?   The Energi is the only hybrid I've ever driven or ridden in, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was under the assumption that the engine stayed on until the car was approaching a stop, and that it started back up once the car got past a few mph in speed.

That is normal hybrid operation.  It uses the battery as much as possible.  Otherwise there would be no advantage to energy recovery from regen braking.

...and for those who live in areas with big swings in temps, they will likely notice a big difference in how much more EV is used when the weather is milder.  It was 75 degrees on my ride home today and the car went into EV noticeably more than when it's say 20-30 degrees (even if the HVAC is not being used).