Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Lack of educated sales reps

seadiel

Yes, meyersnole, I saw that article too about car dealers not wanting to sell electric cars and thought "Bingo." I think we all knew that, but seeing it in print really hits home. Thank you for posting it. 

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go to a car dealer who only sells electric cars? Oh wait, that's what Tesla is trying to do. And the Powers-That-Be are fighting them tooth-and-nail in many states. 

Even dealers that just sell hybrids, plugin hybrids, and EVs would be wonderful and I bet they would be swamped. I'm trying to think of a catchy name for such a dealer. I bet someone can think of one. 

Heh, there already is such a dealer, they are called: T-E-S-L-A. ;) 

But seriously, once tesla gets big enough and is enough of a threat, the traditional manufacturers will get thier act together on this.. or die. 

Even dealers that just sell hybrids, plugin hybrids, and EVs would be wonderful and I bet they would be swamped. I'm trying to think of a catchy name for such a dealer. I bet someone can think of one. 

Heh, there already is such a dealer, they are called: T-E-S-L-A. ;) 

But seriously, once tesla gets big enough and is enough of a threat, the traditional manufacturers will get thier act together on this.. or die. 

Variety is good! I am glad Tesla is around and making a very nice car... I was very tempted... Just can not bring myself to drop that much cash on a car (I struggled paying as much as I did for the fusion -- and I like nice cars).

I can remember a lot of the same arguments when Toyota first started selling hybrid cars, good thing a few people decided to give them a try.  It is pretty impressive what Nissan is doing with the Leaf. And we have many more jumping into the market.

This really hit home for me, as I was very excited about the reality of plug in hybrid. My first trip was to the Chevy dealership, where the sales people were pretty good but ended up taking a ride in a car with limited battery range and the tire pressure light on the dash which gave it an odd ride. (Not exactly the way to put your best foot forward.)  My trip here was better than the first trip to Ford. The Volt just didn't work for me (as much as I wanted it to work).

The Ford Fusion was announced but not available yet in the energi version, but the hybrid was and so was the CMAX. My trip to the one of the larger dealerships in the area was met with a salesman that made fun of people buying all electric cars or plug ins.  Did not understand why anyone would spend so much more for a few electric miles, or worse the all electric Focus which would most likely be stranded on the road somewhere with out access to a charger. This salesman was also found of making up information.... I test drove the Fusion hybrid there but I bought my car at another dealership, one where the salesman actually knew a little bit about the car he was selling. Of course I had much to share with my salesman too, as I had been a member of this board for a few months.

It's a shame that we all have had similar sad stories. I never intended to be a pioneer. I did want to try new technology. I see very expensive ICE-cars every day and think that the owners could have easily bought something that uses less/no gas. Even a Tesla costs no more/less than a Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley, or similar. I just hate the big SUVs - with 1 person in them. 

I was thinking of a car "store" that sells a variety of hybrid, plugin hybrids, and EVs. Of course, the car manufacturers would never agree to supply their cars to something like that, but hey, I can dream. I know Tesla has stores, but a multi-manufacturer store could offer test rides and service. And sales people who are knowledgeable and actually want to sell their products! 

I read the above article and I just don't get this whole "longer sales time" for selling an EV.  I mean, most people I know that look at a hybrid or PHEV or EV are educating themselves online before going into a dealer.  I know in my case, I had narrowed my choice between the Prius and the Fusion.  It was so simple, I walked in to both a Toyota and Ford dealer, liked the Ford better, found the best incentives, compared prices, and drove off the lot.  Simple.  Any length in the process was my doing while I considered options.

I was thinking of a car "store" that sells a variety of hybrid, plugin hybrids, and EVs. Of course, the car manufacturers would never agree to supply their cars to something like that, but hey, I can dream. I know Tesla has stores, but a multi-manufacturer store could offer test rides and service. And sales people who are knowledgeable and actually want to sell their products! 

My ex car dealer sells Ford, Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, and RAM from the same lot.

http://www.chapmannewcars.com/

My current dealer sells multiple car lines but they are not co-located in the same area.

My ex car dealer sells Ford, Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, and RAM from the same lot.

http://www.chapmannewcars.com/

My current dealer sells multiple car lines but they are not co-located in the same area.

Dealerships are franchises, but, I think what she meant was that the proposed dealer couldn't specifically order ONLY PHEV, BEV, or Hybrid vehicles without offering the rest of each manufacturers products.  I couldn't go to Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc and say, "I want to sell your cars, but only your electrified models."  That would never fly.

Edited by Russael

It seems to me that the dealership issues discussed here are never going to change without fundamental changes in the business model.

A dealer gets a brand and they're not going to lose it regardless of the quality of service they provide to their customers as long as they're making sufficient numbers.  Other than in metropolitan areas they're often the only game in town, with an effective brand monopoly - regardless of their service quality if you want that brand you have to deal with them.  This brand monopoly is what enables them to make their numbers regardless of their quality of service.  Success is so much easier in the absence of competition.

Edited by Dune

• 2 weeks later...

On my test drive, I asked the salesperson if the display in the center console showed vehicle status (hybrid mode, EV mode, etc.)  He was adamant that it was only for phone, nav, climate and entertainment.  I ended up finding it for myself and showing him.  His response was like wow, learn something new everyday.  You think?  No wonder the car sat in their inventory for so long.  No clue what the car is able to do.  I agree with everyone's inputs on this topic.  My suggestion is for the sales guys to review the video clips on the owner's website.  You get a 3 minute video of just about all the important features of the cars.  That would be a start....then if only we can avoid the "please give me a 10 on the survey or I don't eat or feed the kids"!  I just stopped filling them out.

When I first heard about the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi in late November 2012, I asked my PREFERRED Ford dealership sales REP to call me when they had one since I was very interested. He called me about a month later and when I arrived at the dealership and looked over the vehicle I told him that this was NOT the PLUG-IN Fusion, it was the plain HYBRID. He assured me it was the plug-in model so I asked him where the plug-in receptacle is located. He slowly walked completely around the vehicle, then opened the hood and looked over the engine carefully, then walked around to the rear and opened the trunk and looked it over carefully, then with an apologetic looking face he FINALLY ADMITTED that I was correct. I asked him to call me when one arrived at their dealership. 

By the first of April 2013, I had not received a call from the dealership so I called the Ford 800 number and asked them when the PLUG-IN HYBRIDS would be available, they put me on hold and after a LONG silent period, they told me they did not have any information on my question. After I hung up, I was searching the internet about the Ford plug-in's to learn more about them and I stumbled across a Web page that indicated ANOTHER dealership had two of them in their inventory. Thinking this was an error I called that dealership and they indicated they only had ONE, the other had been sold that morning. I told him I would be there in a couple hours. In the meantime I called my preferred dealer and asked them if they had a plug-in, they indicated they have NEVER received one yet and had NO idea when they would. 

Went the dealer to test drive the plug-in and bought it a couple of hours later.

Edited by Bills_Fusion_Energi

Bills_Fusion_Energi, your story is just disgraceful.

And these dealers won't even pay a referral fee to someone who knows a heck of a lot more about EVs/hybrids than the salesmen do. I know someone who really is an expert on EVs and hybrids. He has sent customers to several Ford dealerships (he owns a Ford Focus EV himself) and they have just blown him off when he asked about a referral award for a customer who bought a car from the dealer in question. First off, this person has educated the buyer about EVs and hybrids and answered a lot of questions that the salesperson should be answering. I think that is worth something.