Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Lack of educated sales reps

seadiel

I have noticed a lot of dealers seem to be uneducated how the fusion energi works/features.

I got this email and call from my dealer.. Thought it was funny, they want me to do an oil change contrary to what the manual says.

Hi *,

I sincerely hope that you have been enjoying your new Ford Fusion Energi. It has been 3 months since your purchase, and now may be time for your first scheduled maintenance. Please give our Service Department a call at ********** to schedule an appointment.

Yes, I too have been chagrined by the lack of knowledge of the sales people about any cars that aren't your standard gas-guzzlers. Fortunately, when I bought my car last Spring, the Ford sales person acknowledged that I knew more than she did and was very willing to let me help her to learn the basics about hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and EVs. The male sales people were just as uninformed. In fact, they were worse because they acted like they knew everything.

I am not an expert. Just someone who is interested in new "green car" technology. I've learned what I know from the President and members at the local Electric Auto Assn club, plus from reading books and doing research on-line. 

The general public is woefully under-informed too. And some are down-right hostile to any changes in cars, even though they love to complain about the cost of gas. I really can't blame the car sales people when their bosses and the company itself are really not all that interested in anything but the standard cars.

We are "pioneers" crossing a desert into a new frontier. 

I was very lucky that "JC" at The Ford Store Morgan Hill was extremely knowledgeable.  He clearly had a lot of training AND experience selling the Energi cars.  He not only knew the correct answer to everything that I asked of him, he spent a LOT of time just showing off all the features as I drove on the test drive.  I can't recommend JC high enough if you're in the south SF Bay Area looking for a deal.

The dealership where I shop for my cars disconnects the 12V batteries on the cars on the showroom floor, so that was probably intentional.  Most likely because people are constantly getting in and out of them, sometimes they leave the trunks/doors open, and there are other various things people do that would kill off a 12V in no time.

But as far as the cars on the lot...  You'd think the dealership, if they were very motivated to sell the Energi models, would keep the dang things charged.  Problem is I keep seeing repeated stories on here of dealerships that aren't motivated... or even try to steer you away from them.

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to document any feedback you have (positive or negative) about your buying experiences. The only way these dealers know you are unhappy is if you let them know! If you want me to submit anything for you, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, along with whatever your feedback is. :)

Ashley

I'm happy to document any feedback you have (positive or negative) about your buying experiences. The only way these dealers know you are unhappy is if you let them know! If you want me to submit anything for you, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, along with whatever your feedback is.

I think it's more of an overall observation by several of us when it comes to dealers and these cars, which may apply to other brands and other industries/products, for that matter.

The lot assistant guys at the dealerships (the ones who do the pre-delivery cleaning, maybe some do PDI, etc) don't keep the product line in a ready condition for a potential customer that comes in.

The salesmen at the dealerships could be helping with some of the above, or could also be reading up on material to get more familiar with the product (heck why not take a test drive of one and get more familiar and keep it running too?), and this could be done during slow times at the dealership as weekdays 10am-4pm are generally pretty slow.  But instead the sales reps that I see when at the dealer for service are taking their free time watching traffic go by or watching the girls walk into the bank across the street, or whatever.  Again, some dealerships are great and some are not - but if a guy depends on a commission check from making a sale one would think that they would also have a vested interest in ensuring that the product was ready to go (and is knowledgeable on said product) so a likely customer doesn't get turned off, that's all.

Edited by jeff_h

My experience was that they don't keep the batteries charged so that a test drive is like a hybrid instead of an electric.  Of the three Energis that I saw two had dead batteries meaning you couldn't even open the trunk.  That included the one on the showroom floor.

I emailed back and fourth with my sales rep on a deal, when we came to one we setup an appointment. I arrived and the vehicle I specifically wanted would not start nor could they find the key for it. I ended up testing drive another fusion engeri with different options, that one would not start as well both required a jump start which was somewhat of a turn off.

I think it's more of an overall observation by several of us when it comes to dealers and these cars, which may apply to other brands and other industries/products, for that matter.

The lot assistant guys at the dealerships (the ones who do the pre-delivery cleaning, maybe some do PDI, etc) don't keep the product line in a ready condition for a potential customer that comes in.

The salesmen at the dealerships could be helping with some of the above, or could also be reading up on material to get more familiar with the product (heck why not take a test drive of one and get more familiar and keep it running too?), and this could be done during slow times at the dealership as weekdays 10am-4pm are generally pretty slow.  But instead the sales reps that I see when at the dealer for service are taking their free time watching traffic go by or watching the girls walk into the bank across the street, or whatever.  Again, some dealerships are great and some are not - but if a guy depends on a commission check from making a sale one would think that they would also have a vested interest in ensuring that the product was ready to go (and is knowledgeable on said product) so a likely customer doesn't get turned off, that's all.

Exactly, my sales rep was more concerned on closing the deal and moving on. I probably would of walked away but I loved the car to much and the deal I thought was good.

I have a question in regards with the EV+ mode that a sales person wasn't able to answer. Will the EV+ mode initiate when you arrive at a familiar place (ie home) if you are in EV Later mode?

Yes.  EV later is the same as a Fusion Hybrid which also has the EV+ mode.  It's hard for me to stay in EV+ as I approach home because both approaches to my street are up hill but it does work.

The dealership where I shop for my cars disconnects the 12V batteries on the cars on the showroom floor, so that was probably intentional.  Most likely because people are constantly getting in and out of them, sometimes they leave the trunks/doors open, and there are other various things people do that would kill off a 12V in no time.

But as far as the cars on the lot...  You'd think the dealership, if they were very motivated to sell the Energi models, would keep the dang things charged.  Problem is I keep seeing repeated stories on here of dealerships that aren't motivated... or even try to steer you away from them.

Same happened with me.  The Energi I purchased was "late" for delivery because the 12V was dead.  They actually took the 12V from another newly arrived Energi.  They really do need to learn about these cars.  It's a shame when the community knows more about these cars, than the sales reps.  Perhaps they should bring a purchaser on as a consultant when potential customers have EV questions.  I went into the dealer knowing about this car, and educated my sales rep on the car; he was actually very appreciative of the knowledge because his training was pretty weak.

Steve

A lot of us were very early adopters, myself included, so I didn't expect a lot of people to know anything about them.  Besides, I dislike sales personnel, as I find a vast majority of them are just in it to sell something.  If I need something, I'll research it, look at public opinions, and educate myself looooong before I'll approach someone to buy something.  I read everything I could about this car, so I knew what I was getting.  I walked in, handed my guy the Ford printout from the Build It page, and said, "I want this."  All they have to do with me is 'clerk' and do order entry.  There's no wheeling and dealing, no questions that he has to answer...  And it's a very good thing that I handle myself in this manner since the dealership thought I couldn't get any employee discounts on those cars (no A, X, Z, or D).  I took the printout of the exclusions and said, "The Energi and Hybrid cars aren't on there."  Good enough! :)

A lot of us were very early adopters, myself included, so I didn't expect a lot of people to know anything about them.  Besides, I dislike sales personnel, as I find a vast majority of them are just in it to sell something.  If I need something, I'll research it, look at public opinions, and educate myself looooong before I'll approach someone to buy something.  I read everything I could about this car, so I knew what I was getting.  I walked in, handed my guy the Ford printout from the Build It page, and said, "I want this."  All they have to do with me is 'clerk' and do order entry.  There's no wheeling and dealing, no questions that he has to answer...  And it's a very good thing that I handle myself in this manner since the dealership thought I couldn't get any employee discounts on those cars (no A, X, Z, or D).  I took the printout of the exclusions and said, "The Energi and Hybrid cars aren't on there."  Good enough! :)

The above comment reminds me of the below story on Edmunds, where a journalist took a job as a car salesman so he could write about the experience -- one of the things noted in there was that trying to get hired by telling the sales manager that "I love cars" does not go anywhere but "I wanna make money" sings the sales manager's tune.  But then again that's why they are called 'salesmen' as they are there to make sales - but seems like it would work a lot better for someone who really digs cars so that old adage of "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"... doesn't seem like that's the case for the salesmen in many situations these days I guess.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to document any feedback you have (positive or negative) about your buying experiences. The only way these dealers know you are unhappy is if you let them know! If you want me to submit anything for you, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, along with whatever your feedback is. :)

Ashley

Sometimes I wonder  about the motivation techniques of dealers. I bought my car and had a great experience with the salesperson, but a long drawn out experience with the financing folks (and I was already pre-approved though my bank and Ford Motor credit). I provided my feedback about that part of the experience and they penalized the salesperson from receiving any bonuses for the next 3 months, even though I gave him rave reviews. Koons Ford, I'm talking to you.

Originally posted om Welcome Forum:

I have had several different vehicles in the past, Chevy Caprice that I bought from my dad for $1 to take to college, an "X car" gads!, a minivan for driving little kids everywhere, 2 Ford Explorers (both got handed down to kids), and my midlife car: 2000 Ford Mustang convertible. I love it to death, but it's 14 years old. I have refurbished it with a new top, headlights, windshield, buffed paint, etc, but she just doesn't make me feel like it used to. Now I am a grandmother (Ya-Ya), and need a safer car, 5 passenger, and I want to reduce my carbon footprint. Plus, I am ready for some a little luxury! I called my local dealer today (I live in rural Arkansas), and the salesman launched into a laundry list (dirty laundry) of why I don't want a hybrid, much less a plug-in hybrid. He says I'll have to drive less than 45 mph to keep the gasoline engine from kicking in, and that I should save my money and buy a regular gasoline engined car that gets almost the same mileage. He said he knew a guy whose just-out-of-warrenty car's battery pack died and he had to pay $8000 for a new one. He even told me of a man who was arrested at his child's school while attending a basketball game because he had plugged in there. There may be some truth to that, I do live in Arkansas, and we're behind the curve a bit on ecology issues. But I am passionate about it, and I want to lead the charge, rather than follow. The salesman said they won't even bring a car to their lot unless it's pre-sold. I will have to go the Little Rock to test drive the car.

I commute 2 miles to work and run errands in my small town, but often travel to the grandchild's house (119 miles). This just seems perfect for me. I have been to the website and "built" my car, and it's beautiful! Sexy, sporty, and just the right shade of blue.

I have briefly visited this forum of Fusion Energi enthusiasts and I know you'll help me sell this to my husband who is also seeing the pricetag. Just showing him your forum will help a bunch.

I need to know: ARE there downsides to hybrids? this car? Do batteries die over time?

Thanks.

UpdAte: I have since found a knowledgeable salesperson in Little Rock, I am hoping to apply some of the buying tips this forum has provided to get he cost down a bit on the car of my dreams, I plan to use the X-plan as a MCA member (as of yesterday), a $750 coupon, and take the $4007 tax rebate. Oh, and I plan to take the "no haggle price" print out I found on the Buying, Leasing/ordering forum. You have all been amazingly helpful. Thank you!

What I object to is when, at the end of the sale, a salesman shows me a copy of the online feedback form and asks me to check "excellent" in every category so that he can get a bonus.  When he clearly did not understand some of the fundamentals of how hybrids work, that wasn't happening.  It would be good if persons interested in electric vehicles were referred to someone at the dealership who has a well grounded knowledge of these vehicles.  Ford would be even better off with all of their sales personnel being well trained and understanding the fundamentals of how these things work.

UpdAte: I have since found a knowledgeable salesperson in Little Rock, I am hoping to apply some of the buying tips this forum has provided to get he cost down a bit on the car of my dreams, I plan to use the X-plan as a MCA member (as of yesterday), a $750 coupon, and take the $4007 tax rebate. Oh, and I plan to take the "no haggle price" print out I found on the Buying, Leasing/ordering forum. You have all been amazingly helpful. Thank you!

FYI - if you're buying your vehicle, you claim the 4007 rebate on your taxes, and you won't be able to do that until next year (end of the 2014 tax year).  If you lease it, then the dealership should roll that in to your lease agreement.  Depends on how quickly you want that money back or if you want that discount applied immediately.  This also matters if federal doesn't charge enough tax from you during your tax year if you don't earn a lot of money, or you fall in to a different tax bracket (eg - your federal taxes for a year comes out to 3500 after everything else... you will only receive 3500 back and the other 507 is lost).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a huge beef with these "call me if you can't check excellent on everything" evaluation requests, and this isn't just with Ford, it's with anyone engaging in this practice.  Employee evaluations are the job of their HR people, not mine.  Stop trying to put me to work for you.  Beyond that, trying to get "excellent" on everything clearly indicates that the purpose of the evaluation is something other than actually improving anything.  If they really want to improve, then ask that question specifically:  "We hope you had a great experience but we realize that we're not perfect.  What could we have done better for you?"

Regarding the lack of dealer knowledge, that's not exclusive to Ford by any means.  The service department at the Chevy dealer has one guy who knows anything about her Volt, and the sales people, including the manager were clueless, and this dealer has the largest inventory of Volts in the area (50+ when we got ours).  Personally, I find dealership customer service quality to be seriously lacking across the board in the auto industry and it has been that way as long as I can remember.  Every manufacturer is throwing at least 6 figures at an executive whose job is to insure the quality of the customer experience at their dealerships.

Another problem highlighted above in this discussion regards the sales manager being motivated only by money.  Spot-on.  He most likely got that job because he was the biggest shark in the tank and he may have no management ability whatsoever, which goes right back to why he's wanting someone else to do his HR evaluations.

Edited by Dune

Regarding the lack of dealer knowledge, that's not exclusive to Ford by any means.  The service department at the Chevy dealer has one guy who knows anything about her Volt, and the sales people, including the manager were clueless, and this dealer has the largest inventory of Volts in the area (50+ when we got ours).  Personally, I find dealership customer service quality to be seriously lacking across the board in the auto industry and it has been that way as long as I can remember.  Every manufacturer is throwing at least 6 figures at an executive whose job is to insure the quality of the customer experience at their dealerships.

No definitely not limited to Ford, in my experience. I think it was about 10 days ago that I saw a story pop up online about this very topic, and one of the statements in the article was something like "but don't these sales reps have product knowledge training and tests?" and the answer was "yes, yes they do - but on many occurrences the sales reps pay one of their knowledgeable colleagues to take the tests for them" or something to that effect.  So I guess McFly is still completing Biff's homework for him.

I have a huge beef with these "call me if you can't check excellent on everything" evaluation requests, and this isn't just with Ford, it's with anyone engaging in this practice.  Employee evaluations are the job of their HR people, not mine.  Stop trying to put me to work for you.  Beyond that, trying to get "excellent" on everything clearly indicates that the purpose of the evaluation is something other than actually improving anything.  If they really want to improve, then ask that question specifically:  "We hope you had a great experience but we realize that we're not perfect.  What could we have done better for you?"

I always fill these out honestly (even if it means not getting a free oil change or free tank of gas for taking the survey back to the dealer and completing the survey "together").  That being said, the manufacturers typically are to blame.  My recollection with a different major automaker was that anything other than "excellent" was considered a failure.  Dealers have incentives, etc. tied to the survey results.  Since many folks sell out for that free oil change or free tank of gas, the manufacturer does not get any honest feedback to actually identify issues and improve the dealership experience.  If they weren't so heavily incentivized by all "excellent" rankings, everyone's experience would improve, and they'd be more likely to actually deserve the "excellent" ratings.

I must say that the people at Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, MD were very knowledgable. I was originally looking for a Hybrid (not knowing that the Energi existed) and when I told them I was looking at a Tesla, my sales rep said check this out. I did. And the thing was it came down to the Energi or the Prius. Obviously I picked the Energi due to the plug-in feature and it's stylish looks. Okay, Toyota felt cheap.

Here is what I liked. They had one already charged and ready to go, even before they knew I was coming in. I took it for a spin and fell in love. I almost bought that one but decided it was a tad bit outside my price range. They worked very hard to find one in their inventory that would have the features I want with a price in my budget. They even gave me included maintenance and showed me how to use everything in the car. I must say, I loved dealing with them and I highly recommend them.

I must say that the people at Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, MD were very knowledgable. I was originally looking for a Hybrid (not knowing that the Energi existed) and when I told them I was looking at a Tesla, my sales rep said check this out. I did. And the thing was it came down to the Energi or the Prius. Obviously I picked the Energi due to the plug-in feature and it's stylish looks. Okay, Toyota felt cheap.

Here is what I liked. They had one already charged and ready to go, even before they knew I was coming in. I took it for a spin and fell in love. I almost bought that one but decided it was a tad bit outside my price range. They worked very hard to find one in their inventory that would have the features I want with a price in my budget. They even gave me included maintenance and showed me how to use everything in the car. I must say, I loved dealing with them and I highly recommend them.

Maybe they've got a guy reading this forum! Ha ha!!

The rather large dealer I bought from had A GUY that knew all the hybrid info. I'm sure it helps that he had a leased Energi...

No doubt! Most of us here know more about these cars than the folks selling them (my salesman was nice but nearly clueless).

Fear not! If times get tough you can grab a job selling Ford PEVs!

Edited by mmmhmmmm