Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Driving in Snow

seadiel

I have never driven in snow as I live in Southern California all my life.

We planned to go to the mountains when it snowed would it be beneficial to use L mode at all when driving around in snow? 

I was thinking if I used my brakes ABS would be used, but would ABS be used under L mode? I didn't check the manual yet but figured I would ask since it seems like there is a lot of members living in areas that snow.

It snowed a couple days ago here in MI, and I was duly impressed with how the car handles it.  It was about 5" worth, which is FAR less than what you'll probably experience in the mountains.

I have absolutely no idea if L would work with the ABS system.  I do know that the regen system does work with ABS.  I've experienced that a couple times already and it works fine.  You'd have to try it yourself, hopefully not in traffic though. ;)  I personally would expect it to not work, since you're technically not hitting the brakes, and L is pretty aggressive and has the potential to make the tires slide.

L would have no benefit for acceleration.  The car does have traction control which works well.  This is the first car I've driven that has it and it's impressive.

Let us know if you decide to give it a try.

I use "L" for slowing the car without using the brakes.  The key to stopping in the snow is to avoid the use of the brakes as much as possible and to plan your stops way ahead of time in order to avoid sliding through a stop sign or red light.  In my Suburban and other cars I transmission brake; which essentially is letting the transmission do the work.  When going downhill in the snow, or coming to a stop, I'll drop it into 3, then 2 and that technique works great for slowing the vehicle with minimum breaking.

"L" seems to do the trick with the FFE, and also the added weight in the rear, couple with front wheel drive actually make for better snow driving.  The weight of the car seems well balanced between the front and rear.

Steve

"L" seems to do the trick with the FFE, and also the added weight in the rear, couple with front wheel drive actually make for better snow driving.  The weight of the car seems well balanced between the front and rear.

Steve

That was what I was thinking, most of the roads are plowed so I guess the only concern is ice, which you cant do anything about from what I understood. 

I'll report back when we go to the mountains on how it went.

I drove up to Sonora, CA two weekends ago after it had snowed overnight and more was forecasted.  There were 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground.  Police had an inspection point set up and were turning away anyone without 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive.  I told the officer that I had traction control.  He said, Ok, just take it slow and be careful.  There were a few stretches of road where the plows had not gotten to yet.

The Energi did just fine even in the slush.  I suppose the extra 300 pounds of battery over the rear wheels help keep the car planted.  My previous car also had traction control and it works seemlessly.  For those living in snow country where it gets deep it might be a different story!

I drove up to Sonora, CA two weekends ago after it had snowed overnight and more was forecasted.  There were 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground.  Police had an inspection point set up and were turning away anyone without 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive.  I told the officer that I had traction control.  He said, Ok, just take it slow and be careful.  There were a few stretches of road where the plows had not gotten to yet.

Don't most cars post 2005 have traction control standard? Was it a lot of old cars they were turning away?

Don't most cars post 2005 have traction control standard? Was it a lot of old cars they were turning away?

I know the 2 cars in front of me that turned around were a PT Cruiser and a Lincoln LS.  Others that continued on after speaking with the police were a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a Volvo wagon, and other vehicles that either were 4x4 or AWD that was inicated on the rear of the vehicles.