Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is it possible to overcharge/overheat the High Voltage Battery

Dabu

I have had 2 episodes of "stop safely now" with the AC going off and no power to the wheels.  They both happened when I was going down a large hill, in L shift with an almost full battery.  Did I overheat the battery and hence the engine stopped?  Will the Dealer be able to tell what happened if they did a diagnostic?  Thanks in advance.

It sort of sounds like a problem with software or some hardware component is defective.  The vehicle is supposed to actually spin up the ICE once the battery reaches capacity (engine braking).  If it isn't doing that and is instead killing power to the whole car screams that it needs to go in for service.

You could try driving in D but turn on hill assist (the button on your shifter) and see if that results in the same thing, and then go back to L once you're at the foot of your hill, but bottom line is that it shouldn't do that.

If the battery DOES reach a high temperature, the car is supposed to actually stop using it and will instead fire up the ICE again to supply power to the car until the pack cools off.  Some have measured that temperature to be around 115F.  Most people have experienced that in the middle of summer (especially those who live in AZ), and I've heard the fans going in the trunk during charging, also in the middle of summer.  I haven't heard those fans since temps have dropped below 60 outside.

Thanks Russael.  I think I will bring it in to have them look at it.  It normally does rev the ICE when I go down the hill (I live on this hill), but not these 2 times.  The first time it happened, I actually had it on hill assist.  I am wondering if it heated faster than it was able to switch.  Also, when this happened, I could not turn off the car until ~ 5 - 10 minutes, then it was fun after wards.  I noticed on the Energy Screen, the battery dot was flashing this last time.  I tried to do a Health report but it would not allow me.  I am a little bit frustrated as the car only has 1100 miles on it.

If you are trying to see if it recorded any DTCs, you can enter Engineering Test mode by holding the left OK button while starting the car.  Hold it until the Engineering Test Mode screen appears, probably underneath the current prompt being displayed.  Then scroll using the arrow keys until the DTC screen appears.