Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Is Ford Fusion Energi least reliable electric car?

Charlie3831

Yes - I did use MFM to check up in the car once. Ghat said, I now have a "No Signal" banner when using SiriusXM. Not sure why since it still plays...

The reason that I asked is that should have awakened the car and triggered battery charging if the battery was low.

I'm just guessing based on the way I would have designed it.

... I have my new Fusion Energi for only 2 months with about 2500 miles, so far it already has one problem. The Check Engine light turned on 5 days ago and stays on since then. Manual mentions some possible reasons regarding to fueling, but the gas was fueled one month ago. I am not sure if it is related to cold weather (it is very cold here these days). ...

Charlie3831,

Is your check engine light still on? Have you taken your car to your dealer to have them diagnose the cause of your CEL? If you still need a hand, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

After being gone for 2 weeks,today I came home to a dead 12v battery.  AAA came over to jump it for me.  Oddly enough, the car had been on the charger for the whole time.  After being jumped, it texted me that the 12v battery was low and that the car should be plugged it.  Odd...

SD Diver,

Does everything seem like it is back to normal now? If you still need help, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

Steve - let me know how the sagging trunk issue works.  Had mine fixed a week after getting it.  While it may be slightly better, it is by no means fixed.  Instead of closing all the way down on my slight incline driveway, it now only goes down about 75%.  Still useless if you need 2 hands to lift something out of the trunk.  More of a dance now - open the trunk, use my left upper arm to hold it upon then lift out my packages.

I dropped off/picked up my car from service, today.  They fixed the window "auto up", and with some coaxing on my end, applied the TSB 13-05-28  for the "go times".  I'll see tomorrow morning if that fixed it for me.  If it's fixed, we need to try and get the Ford rep, who is now on this site, to see if they can change the TSB description, as it wouldn't download for them based on my description about the car not "preconditioning" with "go times".  After about 10 minutes with me on the phone, and pointing out that the TSB does fix the "go times", they went ahead and amended the description so they could download and install the patch.  I'll update the "go time" thread tomorrow morning, if this did the trick for my car.

The dealer had to order new struts for my trunk, so I won't know about that fix until next week, or so, when the struts come in.

Steve

Had my Fusion Energi Titanium since March:

1. Fixed the ping pong sound from the front (TSB)

2. Trim on the rear passenger side door inside handle is popping out about 1/2". I keep forgetting to tell the dealer

3. one touch UP on driver side breaks constantly (they claim now that they fixed it after 4!! visits). Passenger side failed a few times so far. I'll keep observing.

4. Check Engine Light was coming on. Something to do with fuel vapor sensor. I took it to the dealer 4 times. Just got it back yesterday from the 4th time that kept the car in the shop for 2,5 weeks!!!! They said they replaced the CPU. I can't go to the dealer every few month, i'm not that social. I just went to check if the go time worked and guess what: CEL is back on. Sigh... I will try to get this car replaced under lemon law.

5. Go times don't work. Or more precisely the preconditioning part of it doesn't work (what other part is there?). When I come up to the car during go times, I can see the energy is being drawn from the charging unit (I have GE with an indicator of draw), but the inside of the car is as cold as a fridge (about 8 celcius in the garage). I open the door and nothing is blowing any kind of air as I would expect vents pumping in warm air. The cabin is still frigid. Supposedly, go times don't work if CEL is on, but then why is it drawing energy.

6. Buzzing noise from the left side bezel of the LCD screen (not from the silver trim around the whole center console). Every time I went to the dealer, I told them about it. Still no fix as they "can't hear it". I think this one I'll be fixing myself at the end

@FordService, would you mind having a telephone conversation about?

P.S. My list of annoyance from the MFT itself is also more than a few items long, but that's separate topic

Edited by homa2001

1. I had it in to get windows up fixes

2. My Touch locked up a few times; they replaced the whole control module for it

3. Go Times didn't work; they applied the latest FCIM version from TSB 13-05-28

4. The battery cover on my key phob wouldn't stay on; they replaced both keys

Edited by cwiley2566

1. Fixed the ping pong sound from the front (TSB)

2. Trim on the rear passenger side door inside handle is popping out about 1/2". I keep forgetting to tell the dealer

3. one touch UP on driver side breaks constantly (they claim now that they fixed it after 4!! visits). Passenger side failed a few times so far. I'll keep observing.

4. Check Engine Light was coming on. Something to do with fuel vapor sensor. I took it to the dealer 4 times. Just got it back yesterday from the 4th time that kept the car in the shop for 2,5 weeks!!!! They said they replaced the CPU. I can't go to the dealer every few month, i'm not that social. I just went to check if the go time worked and guess what: CEL is back on. Sigh... I will try to get this car replaced under lemon law.

5. Go times don't work. Or more precisely the preconditioning part of it doesn't work (what other part is there?). When I come up to the car during go times, I can see the energy is being drawn from the charging unit (I have GE with an indicator of draw), but the inside of the car is as cold as a fridge (about 8 celcius in the garage). I open the door and nothing is blowing any kind of air as I would expect vents pumping in warm air. The cabin is still frigid. Supposedly, go times don't work if CEL is on, but then why is it drawing energy.

6. Buzzing noise from the left side bezel of the LCD screen (not from the silver trim around the whole center console). Every time I went to the dealer, I told them about it. Still no fix as they "can't hear it". I think this one I'll be fixing myself at the end

@FordService, would you mind having a telephone conversation about?

P.S. My list of annoyance from the MFT itself is also more than a few items long, but that's separate topic

Hi Homa2001, 

Since you've experienced such a wide variety of vehicle concerns, can you please PM your name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealership information? I'd like to look into this further. Unfortunately, I am unable to make outbound calls. 

Kim

3300 miles logged since August 14th, no problems.  My definition of reliable is ... a system or component works when I need it to...  the following components are used almost daily and all have worked when needed...

adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning system, cross-traffic alert, rear view camera, auto rain sensing wipers, auto high beams, defrost system, auto climate system, one touch door locks (key fob proximity detection),  smart phone detection, auto play blue tooth stream (via HTC windows 8x phone Spotify cloud music service),  received text message announcements/readback work, navigation routing, voice recognition, collision detection, go times work, pre-heating works.  EV modes work.  Auto parking works.  All sensors work.  I updated the sync software in August and that went well.  

I have seen one or two glitches with the uploading of trip info data to the myfordmobile web site, (duplicate records, missing records).  One time my phone wasn't detected upon entering the car but I think it was the phone.  Rebooting the phone eliminated the problem. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my car since March, the only real issue that I have had is that the handles above the door had plastic pieces pop off when people grabbed them. The dealer replaced 3 of them.

I had three of the door grab handles pop out, they were replaced under warranty.

The grab handle issue doesn't seem to be resolved with the 2014s.  I had one cap (front passenger) pop off the other day when someone was holding the handle.  It was a bit startling to hear the cap snap off and shoot across the car while I was driving down the road.  I took the handle off and tried to figure out how to re-seat the spring, but had no luck.  The handle is still obviously functional, but now I always notice that it doesn't spring back up to the normal position when released and it also won't quite stay fully up when manually pushed up, so it's awkwardly hanging an inch or so from being fully closed.

One downside to the infrequent service required by this car... I'll either have to wait a while to get this fixed under warranty, or make a special trip to the dealer (who probably won't have it in stock, which means two special trips).  Since others have had three of these fail, I'm hesitant to make a special trip for this one, only to have one of the other ones fail a short while later.

Hi homa2001

For the buzzing sound, I had a similar sound that was driving me crazy... I thought it was on the passenger side somewhere, my wife thought it was on my side somewhere. Finally located the source, my sunglasses in the holder were vibrating. Do you use that storage compartment?  Try taking the glasses out and see if it stops.

I was able to get the noise to stop by repositioning the glasses.

The grab handle issue doesn't seem to be resolved with the 2014s.  I had one cap (front passenger) pop off the other day when someone was holding the handle.  It was a bit startling to hear the cap snap off and shoot across the car while I was driving down the road.  I took the handle off and tried to figure out how to re-seat the spring, but had no luck.  The handle is still obviously functional, but now I always notice that it doesn't spring back up to the normal position when released and it also won't quite stay fully up when manually pushed up, so it's awkwardly hanging an inch or so from being fully closed.

One downside to the infrequent service required by this car... I'll either have to wait a while to get this fixed under warranty, or make a special trip to the dealer (who probably won't have it in stock, which means two special trips).  Since others have had three of these fail, I'm hesitant to make a special trip for this one, only to have one of the other ones fail a short while later.

I am usually pretty mechanically inclined, and I could not figure out how to get it back together. Good news is that they all failed the first time they were used (why is that people always grab for those when riding in a car?).  I pulled on the driver one a few times just to see if it would pop. 

Good news is that they seem to be better now -- the replacements have not failed. And you are right, the fix will probably need two trips.

So I'm new to this forum but my 2014 that I got three weeks ago is already in the shop. There are three big failures, first in the charging system, second is the ABS hose, and third has to do with engine cooling (they don't know if it's the sensor or the engine or something else). In any case, it doesn't appear to be reliable to me. I love the car. But I don't need it to fail me. My check engine light came on a few days ago and I had it in the shop in under 24 hours. I hope this is all that goes wrong.

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I'm surprised to hear you had that many failures so soon, and those kinds of failures to boot.  Hopefully once that stuff is repaired and taken care of, that'll be the end of any woes for many years to come.  I know this has to have given you a bad impression of the car, but hopefully Ford makes it right, fixes it the first time, and gets you on your way so you can start racking up the EV miles and saving money at the pump... or enjoying your HOV access, depending on your reasons for buying this car. :)

@Russael, turns out the problem was the computer. It needed to be reprogrammed. I don't know the technical details but the car is running well now and I'm very happy, thanks. I actually bought this car for fuel efficiency. The last car I had, I was getting barely 20 mpg. Now I'm averaging 54 mpg in combined gas and electric.

• 3 weeks later...

I did have the engine light turn on about three weeks after my purchase.  I hightailed it back to the dealer and they turned it off.  They had not seen that before and I have not seen it since.  My car works great and no other issues.

I had this happen a couple of times. My wife accidentally pressed the fuel cap release and drove it open for a mile or so and the engine light came on. Closed the fuel cap and it stayed on for a day or 2 and engine light went out. Did you accidentally hit the fuel cap release. Also, I recently drove a Fusion Ecoboost and noticed that there was no fuel door release button? Any reason the Energi has it?

2014, had for four months, 7500 miles

Least reliable new car I have ever had in terms of trouble free operation

Check engine light on and off since 1500 miles. Lip service and "ford knows about the problem" from the dealer

Now has a charge fault and won't accept the charge

Navigation system frequently tracks on frontage roads or open space that is parallel to the actual location

Other than that......

2014, had for four months, 7500 miles

Least reliable new car I have ever had in terms of trouble free operation

Check engine light on and off since 1500 miles. Lip service and "ford knows about the problem" from the dealer

Now has a charge fault and won't accept the charge

Navigation system frequently tracks on frontage roads or open space that is parallel to the actual location

Other than that......

Blaze1145,

Let me look into this for you. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see how I can assist.

Ashley

• 5 months later...

I have a 2013 Fusion Energi and driving to work yesterday I had a yellow wrench appear in the message window with a message that said to check something in my manual, I hit ok to clear the message but the yellow wrench stayed lit. I had to be at work so I did not have time to deal with it.  After working over 9 hours I found the car completely dead. After jumping it I took it to the dealer and they found NOTHING wrong. Any idea? I am afraid to drive it now because it was such a pain to get the key out of the key fob, take the door handle apart, and then use the crappy key to open the car and wait for someone to come jump it.