Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How happy are you with your Fusion Energi?

TCMALIBU

Just got my car about 10 days ago. I'm really happy with the car so far...

1. I'd rate it a solid 9.  I may revise that higher barring any issues with the car. About my only gripe is the cold weather seems to be hitting the range more

than I expected. The first few days where pretty good, but over the last few days we've had a pretty good cold snap and the range dropped by at least

30%?

2. I was driving a 2005 F-150

3. It's an amazing car. Love all its capabilities. It's data overload for me, but it's fun going through and learning as much about the vehicle as I can.

This is my first PHEV - or hybrid for that matter. I'm in the process of getting the 240V charger installed now.    

Wow, dbspl. You went from an F-150 to the FFE?!? Quite a change. Just don't drive your new car like your truck if you want to see the gas savings. I'm up to 75+MPG and I know there are others who have better stats. It depends on how long your commute is, where you have to drive, traffic, etc. 

Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert, but others here are, and you will get great answers here. 

If Ford could find a way to increase range AND a larger trunk... a 9.9, now it's a solid 9.0

Both of my car are listed below in Fuely. I'm running about 92 MPGe winter/summer, 96 MPGe spring/fall

I would, but now I'd get cooled seats as well.

Edited by shaggy314

• 4 weeks later...

1.  I'd give it a 9.  Cannot get go-times to work in mine, and from what I've read here and been told at the dealership, it's a known issue and cannot be fixed without replacing ECU or whatever.  They can get the remote start from the web to work but can't automate it?  Where are the geeks?  My frustration is only made worse by the fact that other than that I think the electronics and UI are awesome - the go-time feature is one of the best in a plug-in and it doesn't work. QQ.  I also dislike that updates to the Sync system have to be done via USB.  And a ZIP file?  Why not just chisel it in stone?  Why can't the computer in this car update itself like every other computer I have?  Trunk is next to worthless but I knew that going in.

2. 2013 BMW 328i and 2011 BMW 335is.  Other than the go-time issue, I think the Fusion electronics are significantly better than the Bimmer's.  (I-drive is like throwing a rock compared to the touch screen and steering wheel controls of the Fusion.)  I had the 328 for less than a year, but just loved the smoothness of my wife's Volt and the Fusion isn't as Spartan as the Volt (Manual seats at that price point?  No sun roof?  Who do I look like?  Fred Flintstone?)  Regarding the handling - I'm in agreement with Top Gear's James May when he says:  "Luxury.  It's the new Performance."  I prefer the absence of sport suspension at this point in my life. 

3,  I might consider it if the new one had closer to my wife's Volt range, had a full-size trunk and a heated wheel. Oh, and go-times that actually work.  I have read that BMW is going to be electrifying their entire fleet (different from their "I" line - going PIH on everything else) so I'll probably go back to the Germans (and a MUCH better dealership experience).  I read an article that said that the industry has done this exactly backwards, that they should have done SUVs and trucks first - more drastic increase in efficiency and more room for batteries.  I wanted a PIH SUV, so next time around probably looking at the Tesla Model X or maybe the "Fusion-style" X5 that I've read about.  Not sure why Ford nixed the Escape Hybrid, but pretty sure that was a mistake.  If Ford comes out with a PIH Edge that would have to be considered.

Edited by Dune

1.  I'd give it a 9.  Cannot get go-times to work in mine, and from what I've read here and been told at the dealership, it's a known issue and cannot be fixed without replacing ECU or whatever.

Has your dealership applied the software update in TSB 13-5-28?  I had similar issue and from reading posts of others I saw that this software update worked for them, went to dealer and it also worked for me - takes about 20-30 minutes for them to update the software.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1485-go-time-versus-remote-start/

I appreciate your feedback Jeff, but it's their job to do, not mine.  I wasn't as clear as I could have been - When I asked about the software update I had read about here, I was told by a man in the service department at the dealership that he knew exactly what I was talking about, they were aware of the problem, and they were waiting on Ford to get around to doing a recall or whatever to replace the ECU (or whatever acronym is appropriate for that particular control module).  He went on to say that the plug-in C-Max the service manager was driving was getting nearly 40 miles on a charge after they did the same on that platform.  Surely he wouldn't tell me that if it wasn't 100% accurate.<<<(facetious)  I could call them and beg them to do their job, but this is exactly the kind of bush-league BS that no one should have to put up with, and I simply won't do it.  It's utterly ridiculous that I should have to hold their hand and tell them what they need to do, or worse have to argue about it, and then there's the possibility of being told the above just because they didn't feel like doing the warranty work.  Obviously Ford is aware of this go-time issue, so why isn't the service department at the dealer where I bought it?  Why didn't Ford direct their dealers to inquire with their Energi owners about it, and schedule a fix for those with an issue?  Proactivity anyone?  I mean, come on, there aren't that many Energis on the road.  One might think that Ford would be willing to go the extra inch for people who were willing to throw down an extra $8K for a tiny bit of electric range.  Would I like it to work?  Yes.  Is it a big enough deal to make me want to put up with this kind of BS from a dealership I didn't like to begin with?  No.  Is it a big enough deal to make me not buy another Ford?  Probably not from that dealership anyway, but I guess we'll see.  The Fusion is a great car, but there are a lot of great cars out there, and more of them are going to be plugging in in the very near future.  It's one thing to get me to buy your plug-in when you're the only game in town, but a repeat buy once everyone else gets into the game is another story.  I think that Ford is shooting itself in the foot by not putting forth the tiny bit of effort required to fix this in a good way but maybe retaining those who have demonstrated that they will pay the premium to be early adopters just isn't worth it.  Perhaps that retention was never a consideration.

Additionally, about dealerships:  I loathe having to go into this Ford dealer, and the one that's equidistant in the other direction is even worse.  On the other hand, the BMW dealer here was always such a pleasurable experience that my wife and I used to go by there sometimes just to go, or just to say hi to our salesman.  Creating a pleasant experience isn't difficult at all and I just don't understand why more dealers don't realize this.  A pleasurable car dealership experience is far and away the exception rather than the rule, at least around here (Indianapolis).

Edited by Dune

I appreciate your feedback Jeff, but it's their job to do, not mine.  I wasn't as clear as I could have been - When I asked about the software update I had read about here, I was told by a man in the service department at the dealership that he knew exactly what I was talking about, they were aware of the problem, and they were waiting on Ford to get around to doing a recall or whatever to replace the ECU (or whatever acronym is appropriate for that particular control module).  He went on to say that the plug-in C-Max the service manager was driving was getting nearly 40 miles on a charge after they did the same on that platform.  Surely he wouldn't tell me that if it wasn't 100% accurate.<<<(facetious)  I could call them and beg them to do their job, but this is exactly the kind of bush-league BS that no one should have to put up with, and I simply won't do it.  It's utterly ridiculous that I should have to hold their hand and tell them what they need to do, or worse have to argue about it, and then there's the possibility of being told the above just because they didn't feel like doing the warranty work.  Obviously Ford is aware of this go-time issue, so why isn't the service department at the dealer where I bought it?  Why didn't Ford direct their dealers to inquire with their Energi owners about it, and schedule a fix for those with an issue?  Proactivity anyone?  I mean, come on, there aren't that many Energis on the road.  One might think that Ford would be willing to go the extra inch for people who were willing to throw down an extra $8K for a tiny bit of electric range.  Would I like it to work?  Yes.  Is it a big enough deal to make me want to put up with this kind of BS from a dealership I didn't like to begin with?  No.  Is it a big enough deal to make me not buy another Ford?  Probably not from that dealership anyway, but I guess we'll see.  The Fusion is a great car, but there are a lot of great cars out there, and more of them are going to be plugging in in the very near future.  It's one thing to get me to buy your plug-in when you're the only game in town, but a repeat buy once everyone else gets into the game is another story.  I think that Ford is shooting itself in the foot by not putting forth the tiny bit of effort required to fix this in a good way but maybe retaining those who have demonstrated that they will pay the premium to be early adopters just isn't worth it.  Perhaps that retention was never a consideration.

Additionally, about dealerships:  I loathe having to go into this Ford dealer, and the one that's equidistant in the other direction is even worse.  On the other hand, the BMW dealer here was always such a pleasurable experience that my wife and I used to go by there sometimes just to go, or just to say hi to our salesman.  Creating a pleasant experience isn't difficult at all and I just don't understand why more dealers don't realize this.  A pleasurable car dealership experience is far and away the exception rather than the rule, at least around here (Indianapolis).

Hey Dune, 

I hate to see you having such a negative experience. If you'd like me to look into your concerns and let you know how I can best assist, send me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info. I'd also like to document your dealership feedback if you don't mind. Please include any details that you would like to add about each dealership. 

Kim

• 4 weeks later...

• Happiness overall on a sale of 1 to 10?

Your Previous Daily Driver (Car)?

Would you do it again?

1 - I'll give it an 8. -1 for lack of MyFordTouch AppLink Support and -1 for various nuances like -weak little 12 Volt battery, -inability to switch off auto noise cancellation, -auto up/down windows don't work, -inability to simply switch off the high voltage water heater and still get residual ICE heat (and save lots of battery), -inability to simply power off the A/C (auto mode pops it back on). I do like the Lane Keeping System and Adaptive Cruise control. I might UNPLUG the high voltage cabin water heater controller so that I can reliably go further in cold weather. Undecided because if I do I'll lose Go Times. If I do this I'll start a thread with my findings.

2 - 2009 Mazda Mx-5

3 - Nope. I drive 65 miles each day and want an electric car that a) can carry me to work and back regardless of climate without burning gasoline or diesel (Although I would settle for Natural Gas!!), and b) that allows me to interface my phone with the car via a technology like AppLink.

Great thread!

Edited by mmmhmmmm

• Happiness overall on a sale of 1 to 10?
  • Your Previous Daily Driver (Car)?
  • Would you do it again?

3 - Nope. I drive 65 miles each day and want an electric car that a) can carry me to work and back regardless of climate without burning gasoline or diesel (Although I would settle for Natural Gas!!), and b) that allows me to interface my phone with the car via a technology like AppLink.

Great thread!

Just out of curiosity, did you expect the electric range to be greater than it is? And if so, by how much? The reason I ask is 65 miles can be a stretch for a lot/most of pure electric vehicles under the current technology (not named Tesla).

I would assume that you are still getting anywhere between 57-62 MPG (not MPGe) with your energi in what is a pretty full sized vehicle (seats 5). Is that not a pretty big reduction in trips to the gas station.  Now, at 65 miles a day, it might have been better to go with the hybrid... but then your MPG would drop to 47 (ideal) and of course less in the winter time. 

Truth is, you are an early adopter of PHV. Range will go up and expense will go down, but it will take time.

I would assume that you are still getting anywhere between 57-62 MPG (not MPGe) with your energi in what is a pretty full sized vehicle (seats 5). Is that not a pretty big reduction in trips to the gas station.  Now, at 65 miles a day, it might have been better to go with the hybrid... but then your MPG would drop to 47 (ideal) and of course less in the winter time. 

True statement if you don't have the capability to charge at work, but since I do (well, there's a public charger down the road that I use) things have worked out well.  Since I liked the chart (one of many) that larry posted on his MPG in various temps, I am tracking the same data.  Friday my MPG to work was 62 and coming home was 82, so I'm happy with moving from the hybrid to the Energi. 

As for driving the 65 miles on EV only, I'd like to do that too but a Tesla is too expensive and a Focus Electric or Leaf are too borderline being right at the edge of range at 65 miles due to weather conditions, etc..

I've never understood the statement that if your commute is more than 21 miles you should get an FFH.  An FFE with a depleted battery drives the same as an FFH.

That's mostly true, but the FFH gets slightly better MPG so based on the expected commute is where the tipping point would be on which to choose.  Energi is rated at 43 and last week I started with a depleted HVB and got 52.9 on the way home, however the FFH was rated at 47 and on a good day I could get 57-59 on the way home and a couple times got 61 and 63 on my 60-mile commute.

Edited by jeff_h

The C-Max Energi was used to determine the EPA ratings for the FFE.  The FFE is more aerodynamic than the C-Max Energi.  That is the main reason for the lower MPG for the FFE vs. the FFH.  There are many variables that affect MPG:  wind direction and speed, temperature, tire pressure, etc.  You will need data collected over a period of time to determine the difference in efficiency of the FFE vs. the FFH. 

Edited by larryh

I've never understood the statement that if your commute is more than 21 miles you should get an FFH.  An FFE with a depleted battery drives the same as an FFH.

I looked at the Tesla but my brother lives 265 miles away in Charlottesville, VA and the nearest supercharger is 68 miles from there in Richmond, VA.

Note that the FFH has a 1.4 kWh battery.  The Energi reserves 1.1 kWh for hybrid operation.  I wonder what impact this has on hybrid MPG for the FFH vs. the FFE.

Edited by larryh

Just out of curiosity, did you expect the electric range to be greater than it is? And if so, by how much? The reason I ask is 65 miles can be a stretch for a lot/most of pure electric vehicles under the current technology (not named Tesla).

Truth is, you are an early adopter of PHV. Range will go up and expense will go down, but it will take time.

Yep I knew what I was getting into as far as electric range and overall fuel economy. I gambled that the vehicle would get 50mpg on my hilly commute and it does. This is quite an improvement over my 2009 MX-5 which was right at 30mpg average. I certainly appreciate the 20mpg improvement!

I love electric driving! For short trips and around town the FFE is great. When my wife's Ford Escape Hybrid finally gives up (if it ever does) she's taking over this car and I'm going deeper into the electric realm. Maybe a Tesla Roadster.  :arrive_alive:

I looked at the Tesla but my brother lives 265 miles away in Charlottesville, VA and the nearest supercharger is 68 miles from there in Richmond, VA.

I hope you did not get that from my post. I was just simply trying to say that, for some, the additional cost and charging might not be worth it to some as the driving range increases.

This would be especially true if most of that driving is highway.

Yep I knew what I was getting into as far as electric range and overall fuel economy. I gambled that the vehicle would get 50mpg on my hilly commute and it does. This is quite an improvement over my 2009 MX-5 which was right at 30mpg average. I certainly appreciate the 20mpg improvement!

I love electric driving! For short trips and around town the FFE is great. When my wife's Ford Escape Hybrid finally gives up (if it ever does) she's taking over this car and I'm going deeper into the electric realm. Maybe a Tesla Roadster.  :arrive_alive:

Then did you mean to say that you would not purchase the car if you had it to do over again due to the limited range?

I hope you did not get that from my post. I was just simply trying to say that, for some, the additional cost and charging might not be worth it to some as the driving range increases.

This would be especially true if most of that driving is highway.

No it was a general observation based on many reports of salespeople trying to steer customers away from the Energi.

Thanks to Kim from Ford here, I now have working go-times and my one-touch windows work.

Upon further reflection on my initial post here about my happiness with the Fusion I realize it had little to do with the actual car.

I really love my Fusion and the electronics/user interface is the best that I've experienced (significantly better than my prior BMW's and even better than the Tesla's current interface, though as Tesla pushes their software updates that could literally change overnight - Ford really needs to figure that push thing out for their Sync rather than the archaic practice of requiring the end-user to download ZIP files on another device and USB transfer). 

What I was/am unhappy with is the fundamental culture that is found in the vast majority of car dealerships (industry-wide, most brands) and given the business model there I'm not expecting that to change any time soon. 

I think that it will be very interesting in the next few years to see what kind of impact Tesla is going to have on the industry overall, if/when they get their production ramped up and if/when they come out with a car priced for the mainstream.  I've seen some predictions that they're going to become the Apple of the automotive industry.  A tall order, but Elon Musk is probably one guy who could deliver on that.

Edited by Dune