Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Manufacturing Complete

murphy

I have completed (I hope) the manufacturing process for my car by adding the following items:

1. Shark fin radio antenna

2. Mud flaps

3. Hood struts

4. Illuminated door sills

5. Seven color illumination in the cup holders

6. Full size 12 volt battery

9. Aluminum "bright" pedal covers

10. Jack

11. Flat repair product that does not destroy the TPMS sensor

12. Puncture repair kit

:happy feet:

Congrats Murphy!

Sounds like some great (and necessary) additions.

A couple questions:

1. How do you like the illuminated sill plates? Do you think that they will scratch easily?

2. How did you get the full sized battery on board?

3. What jack did you get and where is it mounted?

Thanks for all of your great posts.

Congrats Murphy!

Sounds like some great (and necessary) additions.

A couple questions:

1. How do you like the illuminated sill plates? Do you think that they will scratch easily?

2. How did you get the full sized battery on board?

3. What jack did you get and where is it mounted?

Thanks for all of your great posts.

1. They are very nice.  They are identical to the original sill plates except instead of having raised polished letters then have sunken plastic letters.  I think the originals would be more easily scratched.

2. I removed the battery tray from the car and cut the rear end off of it so it's now open ended.  The hold down block was at that end so it's no longer installed.  Between the web strap that wraps around the battery and the can of tire inflater/sealer that is wrapped in cloth and placed directly behind the battery it's not going anywhere.  The left fiber panel has to be almost completely removed to get at the battery because there is no way the battery could be removed through the access door.

3. This is the jack that I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181242055243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It works fine although seeing the positioning triangles on the underside of the skirt can be difficult.  So far it's just laying in the trunk although it will fit nicely on the top shelf in the trunk, over the HVB, when the trunk is packed for a trip.  It may fit between the battery and the left fender but I will have to remove the fiber panel to try it.  Trying to pass it through the opening poses too much risk of shorting the battery terminals while seeing if it will fit.  The reason that I bought it is that it is much easier to remove a nail and plug the hole with the tire removed from the car.  I've done it before and I need to be able to exert my full weight to insert the plug.

That is a great list, Murphy.  And I know you are one of the very talented guys of this forum and did the manufacturing yourself!

I finally added the Shark Fin antenna.

My car was supposed to have the Aluminum Pedals - confirmed by Ford Customer Relations - so I'm waiting for my dealer to let me know when they will be installed.  I think they are stalling.

My next project is to install the Mud Guards.  Now, I might be really crazy but I decided to paint them body color so I am waiting for the paint to arrive as well as a primer for plastic adhesion - for "plastic" bumpers and other parts.  Once they're painted I will install them.

That is a great list, Murphy.  And I know you are one of the very talented guys of this forum and did the manufacturing yourself!

I finally added the Shark Fin antenna.

My car was supposed to have the Aluminum Pedals - confirmed by Ford Customer Relations - so I'm waiting for my dealer to let me know when they will be installed.  I think they are stalling.

My next project is to install the Mud Guards.  Now, I might be really crazy but I decided to paint them body color so I am waiting for the paint to arrive as well as a primer for plastic adhesion - for "plastic" bumpers and other parts.  Once they're painted I will install them.

If you don't have them already I recommend a set of low profile ramps.  They made it much easier for me to install the rear mud flaps.  The front ones aren't too bad since the wheel can be turned out of the way.

3. Hood Struts is something that I would be interested in, and sounds like a big improvement. My Camry has the struts and I like how they raise smoothly and stay up. Where did you get them? How much did you pay? Would Ford professionally installed? How difficult was it to install yourself?

Photos Please!

3. Hood Struts is something that I would be interested in, and sounds like a big improvement. My Camry has the struts and I like how they raise smoothly and stay up. Where did you get them? How much did you pay? Would Ford professionally installed? How difficult was it to install yourself?

Photos Please!

Here is where I found them:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7691-2013-hood-struts-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=67411

There are photos in the thread.

They were not hard to install although I had to read the directions a few times.

They are a vast improvement over holding the hood with one hand while placing the prop rod with the other.

Here is where I found them:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7691-2013-hood-struts-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=67411

There are photos in the thread.

They were not hard to install although I had to read the directions a few times.

They are a vast improvement over holding the hood with one hand while placing the prop rod with the other.

Thanks Murphy! These are definitely going on the wish list. I may just wait for Spring though, as I also don't like the cold. 

About how long did it take you to install them? (Including reading the directions (I will also probably end up reading them a few times over))

About how long did it take you to install them? (Including reading the directions (I will also probably end up reading them a few times over))

In spite of what it says in the directions all of the bolts are metric.

Once I had my tools assembled it was less than a half hour.

I'll save you some time.  Don't bolt both struts in place with the prop rod holding the hood because if you do it's impossible to remove the prop rod.

I wish I could say I realized that ahead of time but I didn't so the bottom connection on the right strut got installed twice and uninstalled once.

In spite of what it says in the directions all of the bolts are metric.

Once I had my tools assembled it was less than a half hour.

I'll save you some time.  Don't bolt both struts in place with the prop rod holding the hood because if you do it's impossible to remove the prop rod.

I wish I could say I realized that ahead of time but I didn't so the bottom connection on the right strut got installed twice and uninstalled once.

Nothing like the moment when you figure that out... @#$#@% Why didn't they say something (as you take it apart again). At least its usually faster to put it together the second time around.

• 2 weeks later...

The hood struts were very easy to install, under 15 minutes. I ordered these since I am always cleaning, looking, and showing others under the hood of my vehicles. The hood now raises so smoothly. I don't understand why this doesn't come as standard equipment on such a technologically advanced vehicle.

I also saw cheaper hood struts listed on Amazon, but I did go with the Redline quicklift.

The hood struts were very easy to install, under 15 minutes. I ordered these since I am always cleaning, looking, and showing others under the hood of my vehicles. The hood now raises so smoothly. I don't understand why this doesn't come as standard equipment on such a technologically advanced vehicle.

I also saw cheaper hood struts listed on Amazon, but I did go with the Redline quicklift.

For some reason Ford is against them.  Heck, even my Boss 302 has a prop rod and the engine looks like this!

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Engine.jpg

I have completed (I hope) the manufacturing process for my car by adding the following items:

1. Shark fin radio antenna

2. Mud flaps

3. Hood struts

4. Illuminated door sills

5. Seven color illumination in the cup holders

6. Full size 12 volt battery

9. Aluminum "bright" pedal covers

10. Jack

11. Flat repair product that does not destroy the TPMS sensor

12. Puncture repair kit

:happy feet:

Nice list -   :rockon:  but is it ever complete?

For some reason Ford is against them.  Heck, even my Boss 302 has a prop rod and the engine looks like this!

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Engine.jpg

Are you on the Boss302Forum.com?

Whoops!

A co-worker of mine drives a 2012 5.0 mustang... he does have a lead foot too. :)  His wife offered to get him a track day pass to take his 'stang out to roar around a circuit, but he was worried about doing what you did.  Can't say I blame him.

He's so anal with his mustang that he likes to double park at work.  He'd probably scream at getting his first stone chip, let alone rubbing on the wall.