Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Questions when using EV NOW; graphic showing lane lines

howardbc

I am sure this has been addressed previously but I couldn't find it anywhere. The owner's manual really doesn't help.

I thought I'd try the "EV Now" option again. The warning notice to "Press OK to enable engine" has me confused and a little concerned. If I wanted to use the engine, I would have put the setting to "EV Auto." If the car needs the engine, say to accelerate past a slower car, shouldn't it just do that automatically? Will the car not accelerate quickly if I don't press "OK"? If not, that doesn't sound very safe. 

I got 27 miles out of a battery charge yesterday and so am very pleased with the "EV Now" setting, but that warning about enabling the engine has me concerned. Most of my trips are short - 25-30 miles - so it seems like "EV Now" should be the best choice for me. 

I also noticed a graphic of an outline of my car (left side of steering wheel, on display) showing the lane lines. Sometimes the lane lines were white, sometimes green, sometimes yellow. What is that all about? Does it come up automatically when I select "EV Now"? Won't the car's sensors tell me if I drift into another lane? So why do I need that additional graphic? Again, I could find nothing about it in the manual, but it is very hard to find much of anything in the manual. 

I wish there was a PDF version of the owner's manual that allowed me to do a "Search" for a particular word, but I haven't found one. In fact, every time I try to save the manual on my hard drive, it has disappeared the next time I try to open it. The only place I can consistently find the manual is through MyFord Mobile app, but it's a hassle to sign into that just to get the manual. Maybe if I could find answers through the manual I wouldn't have to keep asking questions on this forum, although the members have all been wonderful. 

Anyhow, if someone can tell me (again) why the "Press OK to enable engine" sign comes up when the "EV Now" option is selected, I would appreciate it. Plus, if someone can explain the graphic with the car outline and the lane lines, that would be wonderful.

Thanks so much. 

It's just reminding you that if you need more power than the battery can deliver to push the OK button.

The lines have nothing to do with EV now..

They come on when you enable lane tracking by pushing the button on the end of the turn signal stick.

White/gray means you are below 40 mph and lane tracking is not active.

Green means that you are in your lane.

Yellow means that you are too close to the line on that side of the road and may result in automatic steering correction.

Red means a lane keeping alert is being or has been provided.

In EV now you will get that message when you accelerate rapidly. I have seen that message too, but recently only a few times (Im a poke).

You are correct, the engine will not come on unless you press "ok". The vehicle has plenty of pickup and go in EV Now, at least for what I usually need it to do. If in a moment I would need to move very fast(spin the tires) to get out of harms way I would have to remember to push the "ok". Would I? Time will tell.

Murphy, you are awesome! Yesterday I must have pushed that little button on the end of my turn signal without realizing it. I didn't even know it was there. This morning I tried it out on purpose and I must have gone out of my lane because it felt like the steering wheel was trying to move on its own. Or maybe I was imagining it.

I'm wondering what other gems I'm missing. Have you thought about creating a new topic - something like "Top 10 neat things you don't know about your car" ? I bet it would be a huge hit.

Thanks again. 

Murphy, you are awesome! Yesterday I must have pushed that little button on the end of my turn signal without realizing it. I didn't even know it was there. This morning I tried it out on purpose and I must have gone out of my lane because it felt like the steering wheel was trying to move on its own. Or maybe I was imagining it.

I'm wondering what other gems I'm missing. Have you thought about creating a new topic - something like "Top 10 neat things you don't know about your car" ? I bet it would be a huge hit.

Thanks again. 

Howard Jump in and create a topic, its fun. You can start it with 3 or 4 and solicit more ideas, updating the top post as you get contributions.

Thanks, CombsAuthor, for the link to the manual. I've used that one several times and I can always open it but for some reason it disappears after I save it on my hard drive.

But I have discovered that if I save it in Google Drive, not only does it save it, but it stays in a format that allows me to do a "Find" search for a key word. Yeay! 

Thanks again.