Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Issues with letting a PHEV sit outdoors for extended periods of time?

Marc

My wife is considering a PHEV as her second car and getting rid of her Edge. The Edge was primarily a winter car as she drives her convertible for most of the other 3 seasons. I know when we park the Edge for extended periods of time the brakes are basicly rusted to the discs and we have to do some fun 60 to 0 stops to blow the crap off of them. Do you think the regen brakes would suffer a similar fate? She always garages the convertible so this other car will definitely be sitting on the gravel behind the garage 100% of the time.

I've changed the brakes on my Fusion Hybrid (were still in good shape at 140k miles but I changed them anyway as they were halfway gone)... anyway, I didn't see any components that looked any different than typical brake calipers & rotors,,, when I changed brakes on the wife's old Escape Hybrid it was the same thing - typical brake components.  So I *think* that the portion of the system that does the regen is located elsewhere in the drive-train, and thus doesn't come into play regarding portions that get exposed to road splash and surface rust, etc.

So personally I wouldn't expect there to be much difference than the current behavior of your Edge.  And BTW my wife's Energi replaced an Edge and in 6 months has saved over $1,100 in gas, so she's very happy, and so is the guy who used to dutifully take her car and fill it up every 4-5 days.  Now he dutifully does it every 4-5 WEEKS!

The Energi brakes are the same as normal brakes, the regeneration "braking" actually occurs in the electric generator/motor, not the brakes.  

When regen "braking", the wheels turn the generator which generates electricity which flows to the battery.  The turning of the generator causes the vehicle to slow down, as if you were braking with standard brakes.

You should contact Ford and see what they recommend.  The 12volt battery is key to the entire car.  If that's dead, the car will not run.  If the 12volt doesn't charge, the HV battery won't take a charge.

Here is the link to your manual, vehicle storage.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirsnet/OwnerGuide_EU/Default.aspx?bookcode=O21825&market=US&language=EN&VIN=

Click on "vehicle care", then "vehicle storage".

VEHICLE STORAGE

If you plan on storing your vehicle for an extended period of time (30 days or more), read the following maintenance recommendations to make sure your vehicle stays in good operating condition.

All motor vehicles and their components were engineered and tested for reliable, regular driving. Long term storage under various conditions may lead to component degradation or failure unless specific precautions are taken to preserve the components.

General

• Store all vehicles in a dry, ventilated place.
  • Protect from sunlight, if possible.
  • If vehicles are stored outside, they require regular maintenance to protect against rust and damage.

Body

• Wash your vehicle thoroughly to remove dirt, grease, oil, tar or mud from exterior surfaces, rear-wheel housing and underside of front fenders.
  • Periodically wash your vehicle stored in exposed locations.
  • Touch-up exposed or primed metal to prevent rust.
  • Cover chrome and stainless steel parts with a thick coat of auto wax to prevent discoloration. Re-wax as necessary when your vehicle is washed.
  • Lubricate all hood, door and trunk lid hinges, and latches with a light grade oil.
  • Cover interior trim to prevent fading.
  • Keep all rubber parts free from oil and solvents.

Engine

• The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contain contaminates that may cause engine damage.
  • Start the engine every 15 days. Run at fast idle until it reaches normal operating temperature
  • With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.

Fuel system

• Fill the fuel tank with high-quality fuel until the first automatic shutoff of the fuel pump nozzle.

Cooling system

• Protect against freezing temperatures.
  • When removing your vehicle from storage, check coolant fluid level. Confirm there are no cooling system leaks, and fluid is at the recommended level.

Battery

• Check and recharge as necessary. Keep connections clean.
  • If storing your vehicle for more than 30 days without recharging the battery, it may be advisable to disconnect the battery cables to ensure battery charge is maintained for quick starting.

Note:  If battery cables are disconnected, it will be necessary to reset memory features.

Brakes

• Make sure brakes and parking brake are fully released.

Tires

• Maintain recommended air pressure.

Miscellaneous

• Make sure all linkages, cables, levers and pins under your vehicle are covered with grease to prevent rust.
  • Move vehicles at least 25 feet (8 meters) every 15 days to lubricate working parts and prevent corrosion.

Removing Vehicle From Storage

When your vehicle is ready to come out of storage, do the following:

• Wash your vehicle to remove any dirt or grease film build-up on window surfaces.
  • Check windshield wipers for any deterioration.
  • Check under the hood for any foreign material that may have collected during storage (mice/squirrel nests).
  • Check the exhaust for any foreign material that may have collected during storage.
  • Check tire pressures and set tire inflation per the Tire Label.
  • Check brake pedal operation. Drive your vehicle 15 feet (4.5 meters) back and forth to remove rust build-up.
  • Check fluid levels (including coolant, oil and gas) to make sure there are no leaks, and fluids are at recommended levels.
  • If the battery was removed, clean the battery cable ends and inspect.

Contact your authorized dealer if you have any concerns or issues.

Steve

Edited by SteveEnergi