Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charging when you live near the top of a hill

sjb

This is probably a dumb question, and I'm probably overthinking it, but is there anything I should do to optimize charging when I live near the top of a hill?  It seems wasteful to charge the battery fully when I could regenerate some energy just by rolling down the hill.  Is there a good way to stop the electric charging at a particular level that isn't 100%?

Thanks!

I have hooked up my scangauge II and watched the charging rates for driving in L (Maximum engine breaking mode).  I  see around 50 amps going into the battery when fully off the accelerator.  Depending on the grade and length that could be a fair amount of electrons you could build up. 

Would the end of drive info show if you only charged the battery...and how much it was charged?  For instance would you be able to start the car at the top of the hill, with less than a full charge, then stop at the bottom and shut it down and it show you how many Kw's you charged?  Might be worth a try to see if it would.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...