Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Nitrogen

Dag

I always felt the nitrogen in the tires was rather gimmicky.  They say it is less impacted by temperature (lower the temp, less the pressure, etc).  But I have no problem checking tire pressure every couple months and the car has a sensor to let you know if it's getting too low anyway.

I always felt the nitrogen in the tires was rather gimmicky.  They say it is less impacted by temperature (lower the temp, less the pressure, etc).  But I have no problem checking tire pressure every couple months and the car has a sensor to let you know if it's getting too low anyway.

Good for airplanes, probably not cost effective for cars.

ChuckJ

I had it in my previous car, and found it to be more troublesome then the benefit it offered. Probably true that the variance was not as much as compressed air, but when my lights did go on for low pressure I could not simply drag out the compressor and fill er up.  I had to drive to the tire shop and ask for them to top them off.

And this happened at least twice that I could remember over the period of less than a year.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering getting a small nitrogen tank- for my track car.  The expansion, and corresponding pressure increase from air with moisture in it can mean as much as 9 PSI in a 20 minute session from what I've experienced.  I wouldn't even consider it on a street tire that is not at the edge of adhesion for significant amount of time.

The joke we used last time this was asked was to let out 22% of the air in the tires and put back just Nitrogen to save money.  :hysterical:

But then I got worried people might think that'd work so... no. Basically Nitrogen in tires only helps marginally in heat issues (racing, planes), but as stated you already have 78% Ni.