Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Need your help - Fusion Energi or Fusion Hybrid?

Charlie3831

I am planning to buy a Fusion Hybrid and then just found that the Ford Rebate for 2013 Fusion Energi is $4500 while the Ford Rebate for 2013 Fusion Hybrid is only $1000. The MSRP of a 2013 Fusion Titanium Energi is $40100 and MSRP of a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid is $32100, so the MSRP difference is $8000. With $3500 more Ford Rebate plus $4007 Federal Tax Credit for Fusion Energi, does it mean the actual price of a 2013 Fusion Titanium Energi will almost the same as a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid?

If this is true, then there is no pint to choose a 2013 Fusion Hybrid over a 2013 Fusion Energi.

Do I miss something here?

You're probably right!  And with dealers still with a fairly large inventory of Energi's you will most likely find a dealer willing to give you a very good price on the Energi over the Hybrid.  The one thing to check is the trunk size.  The Hybrid has a larger trunk so depends if that matters to you or not.

You will LOVE the Energi!  Let us know what you buy!

Depending on the state you're in, you'll also get a state tax rebate as well as use car pool lanes.

Don't know if it's still available, but Ford had a $1,000 competitive conquest rebate in the Energi. Many dealers were not aware of it when I bought and I had to tell them. All you need to prove is that you have a non-Ford registered in your name.

I am planning to buy a Fusion Hybrid and then just found that the Ford Rebate for 2013 Fusion Energi is $4500 while the Ford Rebate for 2013 Fusion Hybrid is only $1000. The MSRP of a 2013 Fusion Titanium Energi is $40100 and MSRP of a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid is $32100, so the MSRP difference is $8000. With $3500 more Ford Rebate plus $4007 Federal Tax Credit for Fusion Energi, does it mean the actual price of a 2013 Fusion Titanium Energi will almost the same as a 2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid?

If this is true, then there is no pint to choose a 2013 Fusion Hybrid over a 2013 Fusion Energi.

Do I miss something here?

I had the same dilemma 3 weeks ago - I went with the Energi since it was actually less than the hybrid.  Also, because my 1-way commute is ~8 miles each way, I have a large EV ratio.  One other item to keep in mind is that the hybrid has a higher mpg at 47 vs our 43 when in hybrid mode.  If your commute/driving style is such that you spend most of your time burning gas, the hybrid may better suit your needs.  Both are great vehicles, and for me the Energi was the right choice.

The way I think of my Energi is this:  I bought an electric car.  It just happens to have a gas motor too.  :)  For my personal lifestyle, this car may as well have been designed just for me.  My work commute is 11 miles round trip, the limited 8 cubic feet of trunk space isn't an issue at all (I DO have a second vehicle with high capacity but I find that I don't need it as much as I thought), and everywhere I go is within 10 miles.  I don't do a lot of traveling but this car is more than capable of that.

Some concerns you may want to review before plunking down for an Energi is the trunk space, what your daily commute looks like (if you're driving more than 90 miles a day and can only charge at home, not your destinations, go hybrid), your electrical rate, and how long you plan to keep the car (battery replacement is way more expensive than the hybrid).  Also, the initial expenditure of the Energi is quite a bit higher than that of the Hybrid, but after all the tax rebates, and if the dealership you're working with has its own sale too... there's a good chance you can get this car for LESS than the Hybrid.

Thanks for all the inputs. It is really helpful.

My home state Colorado does have tax credit for both plug-in hybrid and regular hybrid. I haven't calculated yet, but I guess Fusion Energi will have about $1000 more tax credit than Fusion Hybrid. Adding Federal Tax Credit and the Ford Rebate, Fusion Energi will be cheaper than Fusion Hybrid to me. 

My daily commute is about 10 miles round trip, I should be able to stay at EV mode all the time (except for the weekend when I usually have longer driving range). I think the electrical rate in my area is pretty low (8 cents per KWh).  So Energi looks like a better deal than the Hybrid.

I contacted 3 dealers, so far not be able to get the price to the invoice level. The closest one is $800 above the invoice. Is this price reasonable?

Does it make sense to consider 2013 Chevrolet Volt? With the $5000 Manufacturer rebate and $7500 Federal Tax credit and a larger Colorado tax credit, a 2013 Chevrolet Volt will be much cheaper than a 2013 Fusion Energi. Does anyone have experience with both cars?

Depending on the state you're in, you'll also get a state tax rebate as well as use car pool lanes.

Don't know if it's still available, but Ford had a $1,000 competitive conquest rebate in the Energi. Many dealers were not aware of it when I bought and I had to tell them. All you need to prove is that you have a non-Ford registered in your name.

Hi bjorn,

I just did some research. It is called "2013 Ford Select Vehicles Competitive Lease Conquest Cash". However, to qualify for it, customer must currently lease a non-Ford/Lincoln/Mercury car. My family owns 3 cars now, but none of them is leased. Looks like I will not be able to get this rebate.

Did you lease or own a non-Ford car at the time you purchased the Fusion Energi? 

Does it make sense to consider 2013 Chevrolet Volt? With the $5000 Manufacturer rebate and $7500 Federal Tax credit and a larger Colorado tax credit, a 2013 Chevrolet Volt will be much cheaper than a 2013 Fusion Energi. Does anyone have experience with both cars?

There is a thread on this forum (is a few months old I think) that did compare the two, and one of the participants in the thread was a Volt owner and was answering questions.  So check out the thread, then check out the car if you like, no need for bashing just get when you think will work best for you.  My basic pro/con between the Fusion Energi and Volt is:

EV Range (normal) - Energi 21 miles, Volt I think 38 miles (depending on how much running around you do, the Volt may work better)

MPG after HVB runs out - Energi 41-45 or so, I think Volt was 35 as it then becomes a gar car, don't know if it recharges the HVB while driving or if HVB only charges when parked)

Capacity - Energi 5 seats, Volt 4 (depends whether you would have a need to seat 5 pax, I have on a few occasions, so I say the Energi definitely better)

Cargo room - Energi is limited, I think Volt is limited more (compare stats and look in person, see what you think, I choose Energi)

Styling/Appearance - I think the Volt is OK, but think the Energi is far better

That's my 2¢ anyway.

I have a commute of about 15 miles one way, which means I can't get all way home with out going in the Hybrid mode. But when I drive real careful, I can make it with out using gas. And sometimes I take lunch near a charging station. 20 minutes gives me plenty of extra EV for the trip home. I have taken a number of long trips (over 150 miles one way) and found when I am drive all Hybrid, my mpg is between 45 and 49 mpg. Now using AC or Heat drops my EV range from between 26 and 29 miles to 19 and 25 miles. My life time gas use average is 140 mpg. Over the 5 months I have had the car, I have been to the gas station 3 times (just topping of on one of the times).

I love my Fusion Energi and would highly recommend it for someone with short commutes. The only negative I see is the small trunk space, but plenty of back set room. I love the look, the high tech, the comfort, the drive, the silent running. And it is fun to be apart of the EV/PHEV community.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Titanium Energi last Saturday. My wife has been driving it for about a week and she loves it.

The price is invoice before $4500 rebate. 

Congratulations on your new ride... this car is full of features, your probably going to spend a lot of time reading these forums. Be sure to ask if you can't find something.

Just got my NRG last Monday (10/14).  Before getting it, I did a lot of research into all the hybrids/PHEVs.  My daily drive is about 18 miles total (all city).  I was all set to get the Volt.  I test drove it and started negotiating on it.  Never could agree on a price.  After that, I started looking at the Prius, thinking the numbers would make more sense.  However, I never really did like the Prius, was just focusing in the 50 MPG, which is pretty good for a hybrid.  However, both the Volt and Fusion are much nicer vehicles than the Prius - IMO.  I started crunching the numbers again and, based on my drive, a PHEV seemed to be the better choice.  Then, I discovered the Energi.  I test drove it and was sold.  

Hybrid vs. PHEV -- To me, this all comes down to your drive.  If you can stay in all EV mode most of the time, a PHEV makes more sense (after rebates/incentives/tax savings/gas savings).  However, if you are driving mostly in hybrid mode, I think a hybrid makes more sense.  For the Fusion, what I could tell is the price difference between the hybrid and NRG was about $4K (after rebates/incentives/tax savings).  However, most dealers still have 2013 NRGs on their lots right now.  It seems the 2013 hybrids are long gone and now most on dealer lots are 2014s.  So, most dealers are willing to negotiate a lower price on the NRG.  At my dealer, the price difference between the hybrid and NRG was about $1500.  I was set on the NRG anyway, given my 18-mile a day drive.  

Volt vs. NRG -- Again, comes down to your drive.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.  The Volt's 38-mile range and hatchback are nice.  The NRG seems like a better built car, is nicer inside, roomier, can seat five and has nicer styling.  The Volt definitely has better trunk space.  However, it also only seats 4.  I know a lot of that is subjective.  For me, I liked the NRG better and my drive fit within its range.  If I had a 30-mile drive, I would have got the Volt, as it would have been more important to me to stay in all electric.  

Just my 2 cents...