Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Why 62 MPH?

vfrmike

I know this is related mostly to battery but you would think they would get it to go at least 3 mph faster so we are able to do the speed limit in EV. I just don't want to use gas unless I run out of battery. The 2013 Fusion is such a nice looking car and I'd love to purchase but the 62 MPH max is really causing me to consider the Volt. The Volt is a nice looking car also but is not as visually appealing as the 2013 Fusion. I've read that the Plug-in Prius is also limited to 62 MPH.

I'm sure the speed is related to more factors than just the battery, but who cares. Can't see going for a Volt over the 2013 Fusion no comparison in quality or looks, the Ford wins hands down on all counts. As for 62 mph big deal you can't tell the difference from 65 mph and most people don't drive 65 mph anyway they are far above that limit, so no matter what at 65 you would be one of the slow vehicles out there anyway and what's the problem with that. Three mph on most local trips will not get you anwhere any faster. It seems no matter what any designer does now days there are people than pick things apart.

Dennis I can certainly see your view but I'd like to eliminate myself from having to stop at the gas pump as much as possible. Just really pushes my buttons when gas prices fluxuate so much and I have very little controll. Surely filling my F-150 (SuperCrew - 4x4) each week contributes in part of my frustration. But yes, everytime I look at the 2013 Fusion it is clear what an appealing car they have produced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Now that more info is out, you can see what they're doing. The Energi can do 85mph on electric only. The standard Hybrid is limited to 62mph on electric.

The reason for this is that the std Hybrid does not have a big enough battery to sustain anything more than 62 for any decent amount of time. Even at 62 the time on electric will be very short. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate a car to freeway speeds and maintain that speed. That will suck a small battery dry in 1-2 minutes.

Now that more info is out, you can see what they're doing. The Energi can do 85mph on electric only. The standard Hybrid is limited to 62mph on electric.

The reason for this is that the std Hybrid does not have a big enough battery to sustain anything more than 62 for any decent amount of time. Even at 62 the time on electric will be very short. It takes a lot of energy to accelerate a car to freeway speeds and maintain that speed. That will suck a small battery dry in 1-2 minutes.

Thanks for explaining this. So in the Hybrid, after 62 MPH, you're running or using the 2.0L gasoline engine then?

Thanks for explaining this. So in the Hybrid, after 62 MPH, you're running or using the 2.0L gasoline engine then?

Yep. Even getting to 62 you might have to use the gas engine. My FEH can do up to 40 on electric, but you can't get there with elec only. You have to use the gas to get to the speed and then tap the brakes to encourage the gas engine to shut off. It takes real finesse with the accelerator pedal to maintain the 35-40mph on elec only.

• 3 months later...

I think the real motivation for the 62 MPH limit is to be able to complete the EPA highway test under electric power. The EPA test does not go faster than 60 MPH. This is what allowed the Fusion Hybrid to post 47/47/47 MPG results. So normal people driving at normal highway speeds will get lower mileage. But still better than any non-hybrid.

• 1 month later...

I wish they'd gone for 65 mph, too.  I know it's a hybrid, but it would be nice to be able to get a few minutes here and there in EV mode at that speed.  I'm still very happy with my 2013 FFH.  We considered the Energi, but couldn't justify the huge additional cost of the vehicle over the regular hybrid.  Spending $32.5K was plenty and from some articles I read, I didn't feel we'd come close to breaking even on the cost based on the kind of driving we do, so we got the regular hybrid instead.

We own a Prius now, and I'm glad we have a hybrid, but I'm very certain our next car will be a plug-in. I don't think of this decision in terms of calculating the break-even point. For me, this is an ethical issue, being a good steward.

Imagine if the Energi were not an electric car at all. Instead, imagine if that big box in the trunk was not a battery but was a portable carbon sequestration unit (PCSU). The car would have a gas engine, but the PCSU would scrub the exhaust and capture the carbon. In short, you would have to put gas in the car, just like a regular Fusion, no savings there, but you would put less carbon into the atmosphere. Would you buy it?

If it cost $50,000 more than the gas Fusion, I wouldn't buy it -- it would simply be out of my reach. If it cost $500 more than the hybrid, wouldn't you buy it? Wouldn't most people? No gas savings, no break-even calculation, but for $500 you could reduce your carbon footprint from driving. For me, this would be a no-brainier.

If you agree, then like that old joke says, now we are just discussing the price. :)

The Energi is quite a bit more expensive than the Fusion hybrid, but I can afford it, and I want to reduce my carbon footprint, not with an imaginary PCSU but with a car that will run purely on electric power most days, as I drive around town. So it has value to me.

What is the break-even point for buying a Ferrari? People buy cars not just for economics, but because they have value which you value. Except I don't want a sports car, I want a smaller footprint.

Edited by rprobst