Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Car making horribly loud noise while charging

Karim

I just bought a 2017 ford fusion energi. Used obviously, but it only had 30k miles on it so I figured it was too good a deal to pass up.

I just got it home and plugged it in to charge for the first time. And it is making a horribly loud, deep rumbling fan noise.

i tried to attach a short 6mb video, but this forum won’t let me do much of anything, it appears. 

This can’t possibly be normal, right? Now I’m terrified. I should have a little bit of the hybrid component warranty left I hope, as long as it is transferable to me.

Link to video:

https://vimeo.com/954508696?share=copy

If you play this at full volume it might approximate how loud it is. I’m talking LOUD. Sounds like I’m in a machine shop. 

Clearly the hybrid battery fan has to be screwy, right? I sure hope this is covered under warranty! How could it not if the issue only arises when I plug in the car to charge?

Edited by Karim

Try uploading the video to a hosting service (e.g. YouTube) and share the link here.

The BECM fan will turn on while charging if its temperature exceeds a certain threshold. If the fan is damaged or malfunctioning it might make some odd noises. Aside from the noise is there any other symptom of malfunction? Does it charge/can you drive in EV mode?

On 6/6/2024 at 1:09 PM, theterminator93 said:

Try uploading the video to a hosting service (e.g. YouTube) and share the link here.

The BECM fan will turn on while charging if its temperature exceeds a certain threshold. If the fan is damaged or malfunctioning it might make some odd noises. Aside from the noise is there any other symptom of malfunction? Does it charge/can you drive in EV mode?

I updated my first post with a video link. This behavior only occurs when plugging in the charge. The hybrid system appears to be working otherwise. I see regen when driving. It can drive for very short stints on battery, like a normal hybrid. But obviously I haven’t tried fully charging the battery because I was worried about letting the thing charge for more than a few minutes with that going on!

Yeah that's abnormal. Even if it was running at full speed it shouldn't make that bad bearing sound. I'd take it in to have it looked at if you can confirm warranty is good. There are two fans for the battery system - one for the BECM and one for the cells. Only the BECM fan runs while charging.

The front cooling fan for the radiator isn't running too, is it? If "Go times" are set it will cool (or heat) the cabin when plugged in; if that's acting up it might turn on the A/C every time you plug in the car.

Just something else to consider/look out for.