Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Connecting to WiFi???

yellow05gt

Go to the navigation screen where you can enter a new POI.

Once you have the keyboard on the display go directly to the WiFi setup.

The full keyboard will be available to enter your wireless key.

tried this, and while it does make the keypad available thinly made the number 2 available on the numerical keypad. Oh well. The only reason I could see this being a good idea is to wirelessly update the sync firmware or install apps and things like that wirelessly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was not able to figure out what I can use wifi for in the first place. Yes, it's connected, but that's all. I was hopping that the car would use wifi to communicate with ford instead of the built in cell modem because reception in my garage is nearly non existent, but it doesn't look like that's the case. In fact, it doesn't even reconnect automatically to a known wifi network when it's in range. Useless.

Hmmm...I thought about that too. I have a mobile hot spot, and if I connect that to the car, via wifi, it really doesn't accomplish anything, does it?

Now, I took a survey from Ford and one of the questions was if I could buy a data plan for the car, would I?

I could see if the car had its own data plan, then you could use the onboard wifi as a mobile hotspot.   But really, how many people don't have data plans on their phones already? And if you were to buy a data plan, wouldn't it make more sense to have one on your phone than on your car?

When I initially tried connecting to WiFi, I had the problem of having only numbers available and no working keyboard.  After upgrading SYNC, the keyboard was available and I was able to make a connection.

I do wonder how WiFi might be useful.  Updating operating systems and apps via WiFi vs. USB would be a good idea.

Has anyone heard when apps such as Pandora might be available for this version of SYNC?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everybody, 

I just wanted to clear some things up. I am unable to speculate on future updates; but I can verify that you won't get much benefit from connecting MyFord Touch to a home Wi-Fi network as the system is now. Some updates will be available for instant download from: www.Support.Ford.com but they will require an empty USB for installation. Updates can not be installed wirelessly through an Wi-Fi connection. Some phones are capable of creating a Wi-Fi hotspot, but will only allow you to connect to one device at a time. If this is the case, you can tether the phone to MyFord Touch, which will allow multiple devices to be connected to it. If you have a USB mobile broadband device, the MyFord Touch system will allow you to broadcast that Wi-Fi signal through the vehicle. Keep in mind that both of these options require you to have a data plan set up through your cell phone provider. 

Has anyone heard when apps such as Pandora might be available for this version of SYNC?

Hi Gigi, 

Right now, Ford is still focusing on gen 1 SYNC systems for AppLink. I don't have information on future updates to MyFord Touch. You can still use many of these apps with MyFord Touch through Bluetooth Audio by pressing the VOICE COMMAND button and saying BLUETOOTH AUDIO while the app is pulled up on the device. Only basic voice commands will be accepted. See the bottom of this page for more info: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/entertainment-by-voice-sync-myford-touch

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for your reply.  I can appreciate the work it takes to get a new system up and running.

I can start Pandora by voice on my phone.  I can select Bluetooth Audio handsfree with MFT.  What I would like is to be able to change stations and otherwise interact with the Bluetooth app via MFT using voice commands and the steering wheel controls.  HondaLink has an app that does this.  It should not be too difficult to get this app licensed and adapted for Ford or to create a similar app.

What I would like to avoid is looking at my phone while driving.

If SiriusXM has some sort of agreement with Ford not to pursue offering a Pandora app, I wish Ford would rethink that agreement.  I am not at all pleased with the audio quality of Sirius via MFT.  It sounds like their audio stream compression is very high, producing very poor quality.  Their audio quality may be fine for talk radio, but it is not good enough for music, at least not in my car.

I appreciate your taking an interest in what people on this forum are saying.  I think that you and Ford can find some good feedback here that has potential for improving the product and creating happy customers.

Ben (Gigi)

Kim,

Thanks for your reply.  I can appreciate the work it takes to get a new system up and running.

I can start Pandora by voice on my phone.  I can select Bluetooth Audio handsfree with MFT.  What I would like is to be able to change stations and otherwise interact with the Bluetooth app via MFT using voice commands and the steering wheel controls.  HondaLink has an app that does this.  It should not be too difficult to get this app licensed and adapted for Ford or to create a similar app.

What I would like to avoid is looking at my phone while driving.

If SiriusXM has some sort of agreement with Ford not to pursue offering a Pandora app, I wish Ford would rethink that agreement.  I am not at all pleased with the audio quality of Sirius via MFT.  It sounds like their audio stream compression is very high, producing very poor quality.  Their audio quality may be fine for talk radio, but it is not good enough for music, at least not in my car.

I appreciate your taking an interest in what people on this forum are saying.  I think that you and Ford can find some good feedback here that has potential for improving the product and creating happy customers.

Ben (Gigi)

Hi Ben, 

I see where you're coming from and your suggestion has been passed along. My best advice is to select a channel before departure since there is not a way to switch channels on apps via voice command. Keep in mind that some apps will still allow you to use steering wheel arrows to skip songs. This will allow you to keep your eyes on the road; try it out. 

Kim

Thanks, Kim. 

I see that I can skip songs in Pandora with steering wheel controls.  That's a big help.  Now if y'all can get the channel list up on the MFT screen or better yet, into voice commands so that we can change channels, that would be great!

Ben

Fingers crossed! Keep an eye out for update announcements here: http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=fordsyncmb&listMode=0

Kim