Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sunshades and Dashboard Covers

Philly Brian

Since buying the FFE I have used a reflective sunshade from my prior car. It doesn't fit too well so I am looking into ones that claim to be an "exact fit". I have done some research on just how effective shades are the results surprised me. If placed on the INSIDE of the windshield they do little to lower the temp build-up inside the car. The sun's rays bounce from the shade to the inside of the windshield and make that surface super hot. That heat just travels to other areas of the car. The manufacturers claim to provide a cooler interior but they are probably lying. To be effective, you want to place the shield OUTSIDE the windshield. No one does this. (Some shades are designed for outside use and have extra wide sides that can extend past the a-pillar. You shut the door and the shade stays in place & can't be stolen). Bottom line, many feel that the shade doesn't do much except to keep the steering wheel from getting too hot to touch. Besides, since your car has rear & side windows - even if tinted - the sun is going to win. It will protect the plastic dash from UV rays. But so will a DASH COVER. I checked on e-bay and ones that are "exact fit" can be had in many colors for about $50 - which is about what a custom-fit shade will run you. The Dash Cover also prevents those reflections on the windshield that the sun causes. On my car, the reflection from the 'chrome' strip that runs along the glovebox lines up perfectly with the passenger-side rear view mirror and interferes with the ability to use the mirror. The covers I saw on e-bay would appear to eliminate this. So, unless other members here can change my mind, I'll be buying a Dash Cover soon. Maybe a shade too. If the shade truly is "custom fit", and rests tight against the inside surface, then it might be effective. Surely better than the ill-fitting one I have now.