Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Recall issued: 2019-2020 Fusion Energi - BECM Fire Risk

EnduroDad2k

From 1977-2007 I was a Master Certified Partsman. I bought my 2014 Fusion PHEV used in 19 about 70,000 first shock on battery charge was not 19 MPGe but learned new word battery degradation. Its a legal term tough baloney for battery capacity. I was still getting 10 -12 MPGe my all in was 52 mpg so I enjoy the car. Bamm check engine light came on. Reader showed PODAD cel balance took it dealer for new cord charger and Modem got screw on that and the dealer new exactly what there doing on WO no part number they had replace it work for 2 years till ATT shut down 3G anyways dealer says that will be $495 to look at car. I continue to watch Battery die I mean degradation further and further. I kinda thought there would be a recall I was both right and wrong the recall was limited to 2019-2020. As I mention work history I research HV battery Pack and BECM 2013-2017 or 18 were the same 7.4kw 2019-2020 went up to 9 kw both still had 84 cells and most important BEMC for 2013-2020 but the early cars were screwed. Then March 2024 driving home from work early afternoon I start at 430am going freeway speeds the RED triangle of death comes on thank god electric power steering  I was in the middle lane turn signal I pull over to side of freeway. I would have thought there had been a fire but no smoke but the time pulled over the chemical smell was terrible when I tried to re start no luck called  ERS for tow truck got car home. Attempted to file claim under comprehensive the basis of electric fire was turn down instantly  crank up my attempt the finally agree to tow vehicle to a ford dealer and get a profession exam dealer says no fire bad HV battery pack,  Climate module and interior heater coil. oh I almost forgot key fob battery was low thank god they advise me I also had open recall I door latches, shift cable, air bags brake light switch all simply item I decline the major repair forgot my other wallet with wads of cash I was 8,000 miles less than 2 years. They refuse to do any recall work saying car needs to be running. My adjuster did ask the all work be photograph they didn't. I ask for a copy of work order and estimate for battery replacement but was inform rudley that they had not been paid so I could not have copy that was my cue got care home ask again for WO and estimate for battery replacement again finally was email one. But still no estimate but in reading email say a price for Battery $10,389.16 plus tax and shop supplies. This not a quote or estimate at all.  Very sad customer service. Next day I get a ad to buy a new Ford hhhmmmm let me think................................. NOT Any one that has 2013-2020 let ford and dealer hear NTHSB also  keep a eye out for class action law suit

• 3 weeks later...

You can call Ford at their Customer Care number and speak to a rep. Don't expect much action from this (I've called 3 times)  but be sure to make your complaint and and get a reference number.  If you are in Canada, you may also want to contact the law firm mentioned in this thread that has filed a class action.

It's been almost a year and still no fix. I traded in my beautiful Ram pickup for this hunk of junk when I moved down to Houston, in order to save on gas because I knew I'd be driving it more. I bought the car 5 months before this recall. I haven't been able to use my HYBRID as a hybrid in almost a year. This is absolutely ridiculous. Sending $250 is a slap in the face. I've owned 5 Fords but after this, never again. Ford should be buying back every single one of these vehicles, regardless of warranty status or if you're not the original owner. 

On 1/30/2024 at 7:54 PM, J cummins said:

Ford say fix might be available  4 quarter of 2024. How are we to be reimbursed for lost mileage and I pay extra for tages in ohio for a plug in I can’t use. Talked to ford on the phone I was told they may have a fix 4th quarter of 2024 . Class action may be the only way to speed this up.

There is a class action lawsuit in Canada can’t find one in the us yet.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:11 PM, J cummins said:

There is a class action lawsuit in Canada can’t find one in the us yet.

I called Ford Canada last week to ask about compensation and it seems they have no intentions there... So now they have a class action suit. Some need to learn the hard way.

Maybe those $250 checks for US-purchased cars bought Ford US some time?

I just got off the phone with Ford regarding the 23S33 recall, Cheryl was the CSR and told me they are hoping to have a fix in July and that we all should get a letter from Ford in a couple of weeks. I got a case number and plan to call them once a month. I am also looking to contact a TV news person who helps people resolve issues by exposing companies on live TV.  It's been a year, and the last time I heard anything from Ford was in November. I believe that they have no way of fixing this and because there aren't very many of us, I think they are just shoveling this issue under the rug.

Edited by Jeff
Got the letter today, still a big loss financially for me Taxes, doc fee's and title/registration fee, etc. all up to over $2, 300 that I'll have to pay again if I take this option. That's Ford!

On 6/7/2024 at 11:03 AM, Jeff said:

I just got off the phone with Ford regarding the 23S33 recall, Cheryl was the CSR and told me they are hoping to have a fix in July and that we all should get a letter from Ford in a couple of weeks. I got a case number and plan to call them once a month. I am also looking to contact a TV news person who helps people resolve issues by exposing companies on live TV.  It's been a year, and the last time I heard anything from Ford was in November. I believe that they have no way of fixing this and because there aren't very many of us, I think they are just shoveling this issue under the rug.

Not looking likely at this point, the recall site has also been updated to state they are doing Buybacks now as parts are not expected to be widely available until 2025 now. Once again Canada probably gets screwed as the Vehicle Buyback estimator only works for US Based Vehicles and we never got the $250 check either.

Ford is also offering an alternative remedy option for vehicles affected by this recall. Ford is offering customers a statutory refund of the vehicle’s purchase price, less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. The “refund amount” is based on fair market value of the vehicle, plus a 15% premium. “Fair market value” is based on the original Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), less depreciation as determined using regional market data, and does not include the cost of any modifications made to the vehicle after the first retail sale. This alternative remedy will be offered until July 1, 2025, when sufficient quantities of high voltage batteries are expected to be available for final remedy repairs.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/recall/recalls-and-faqs/23s33-fusion-2019-2020-battery-and-power-loss-recall/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fordfusion/comments/1ddprom/fusion_energi_buyback_or_scam/

Edited by tkyoshi

I contacted Ford Canada via their website today, and much to my surprise, I got a quick response.

CR agent emailed back and said that "Ford Canada will be introducing a similar refund program in July 2024 and they will be contacting affected owners".

Interesting to note that there is a class action in Canada for this recall, and Ford is likely trying to reduce the impact by paying off owners. 

Will keep all posted.

PS. The bummer is I really like the car and would much rather have a fix.

Edited by Richard_Yul

On 6/12/2024 at 5:18 PM, Richard_Yul said:

I contacted Ford Canada via their website today, and much to my surprise, I got a quick response.

CR agent emailed back and said that "Ford Canada will be introducing a similar refund program in July 2024 and they will be contacting affected owners".

Interesting to note that there is a class action in Canada for this recall, and Ford is likely trying to reduce the impact by paying off owners. 

Will keep all posted.

This is funny.  I just got a Ford survey yesterday regarding my 2020 Ford Fusion Energi.  Interesting timing.  I definitely let them know what I think about this situation.

In my case, I was leasing the 2020 Energi when I got the notice.  The notice came at the exact same time as the lease ended.  I was deciding whether to buy/lease a new car or pay the residual and keep the Energi due to the inflation on new cars.  My dealer told me not to worry about the recall because according to his information we are 30 days away from a software fix.  Well, of course I know now that was not true.  Now Ford wants to buy back the car after a year of bad news that has further depreciated the value of the car along with the general decline in demand of EV's.  Nice timing Ford.  Surely you didn't wait a year because you knew the buy back would be cheaper for you.

Ford's buyback program only pays a bit above trade in value for the car.  I inquired yesterday. In my area, the retail pricing (KBB) is $2,000 more. The trouble is, the car is essentially worthless to Ford dealers on a trade with the open recall ,so wiith Ford coming up short on the buyback offer, we are still stuck. They don't pay sales tax either on the buy back. That's someting that we have to request from the state who will tell you to pound sand or wait 3 years for them to figure it out. 

I checked the online calculator for the repurchase by Ford, and in my area of WA it is on par with used retail prices for 2020’s.  Other than the recall the car has been great to drive with many bells and whistles. I will miss the car and would rather have a fix and keep it but am going to sell it back. I like the plug-in gas option.  All in town electric, and a whopping 600 mile range! Probably will buy a used Honda Clarity, although it does not have all the bells and whistles!!   I bought in June 2021 with $10,000 off MSRP, so that with the EV tax credit, and the repurchase I will actually be out $0.   Feel lucky and fortunate! 

I checked KBB and my cars trade value is $18,200-$20,700, private sale estimate is $20,200-$22,700.  If I juice it to excellent I get $23,612.  Retail they are going for about $23,000 or so without a $4,000 used tax credit.   Spoke to Ford today and locked in their offer $24,950 total.  So, my purchase price was $28,442 in June 2021.  Minus the $4,601 tax credit in 2021, it was $23,841.  No sales tax, I traded in a more expensive car that had shot up in value! Add in the $300 for the 4G antenna and I am at $24,141.  

I spoke to the initial CS rep and she was great.  The next level

Rep Is supposed to call within five business days.  I will update when I hear from them.  

Edited by GreySkies
Update to Posting