Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Manuals specifies dedicated outlet for charging HVB. Really?

Philly Brian

So I am about to plug in and charge the HVB for the first time. The manual covers things pretty well and, while I had hoped it was as simple as plugging in a toaster, I understand that it isn't. According to the manual the outlet one plugs into should be a dedicated circuit. I suspect mine is not. At minimum it probably has 2-3 lights and maybe another outlet or two on the same circuit. Are any of the rest of you paying any attention to this when the manual says: "You must use a dedicated line ..."?  

Also in my garage is a 240v set-up for a clothes dryer that has never been used as the dryer is gas. The manual talks about an available 240v charging cable but many have told me they can't be found. Can they? 

Thanks

Brian

I've only used a dedicated circuit in one of my homes, because the existing circuit in my garage was also on the same circuit as my office that has a ton of computer equipment and other electronics. So I had a dedicated circuit installed in my garage.  In my other three homes, I did not have a dedicated circuit and never had any issues.

If you have 240V in your garage you should get a 240V charger and use it.  I really didn't think the 240s were that hard to find.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:57 AM, Philly Brian said:

So I am about to plug in and charge the HVB for the first time. The manual covers things pretty well and, while I had hoped it was as simple as plugging in a toaster, I understand that it isn't. According to the manual the outlet one plugs into should be a dedicated circuit. I suspect mine is not. At minimum it probably has 2-3 lights and maybe another outlet or two on the same circuit. Are any of the rest of you paying any attention to this when the manual says: "You must use a dedicated line ..."?  

Also in my garage is a 240v set-up for a clothes dryer that has never been used as the dryer is gas. The manual talks about an available 240v charging cable but many have told me they can't be found. Can they? 

Thanks

Brian

The dedicated circuit note is CYA type stuff, same as the mention about using extension cords. The long term sustained current load these vehicles use will max out a 15A circuit on their own. There shouldn't be anything else on that circuit while the vehicle is charging. You CAN run it on a combined circuit, but you need to be very aware of what loads are on it and even then you are on your own and this is at your own risk with anything up to full on electrical fires being a possibility. I have my C-Max on a combined circuit but I also have it set to only charge after midnight when everything else is off to keep it as safe as possible. Unfortunately I have no alternative options without a full panel replacement to get a dedicated circuit. But I have intentionally taken this very educated risk and minimized the risks involved.

As far as 240V chargers, you don't need to buy anything Ford specific here. EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment or the 'charger cord') are standard and universal as long as it uses the same J1772 plug on the vehicle side. Also these vehicles only pull 3.3kw/~12a on the 240v side of things so if you're purchasing an EVSE just for the Fusion, you don't need anything beefier than that. However if you ever plan to upgrade to a new EV down the road, getting something beefier may be worth looking into. Getting something that will supply more power won't hurt the Fusion but it will futureproof for vehicles that can handle more.

Edited by cr08

The Fusion EVSE draws up to 12 amps at 120V. This is to adhere to the 80% rule for continuous current draw on a common residential 15A circuit (80% of 15A is 12A). If other things are on the circuit that kick on briefly, it won't do harm - especially if your circuit is wired for 20A service.

In my case the garage is one complete circuit, but it's also wired for 20A with 12 AWG conductors. The garage door opener is on that circuit as are the lights. I also have a small 1/3 HP air compressor. When the air compressor kicks on it's noticeably weaker than if the car isn't charging, but otherwise I haven't noticed any ill effects.

As to whether you can use 240V to charge the car, as others have said, absolutely! I took the plunge and bought a level 2 EVSE last winter and love it. I only use it when it's relatively cool outside though; the faster charging is more efficient but the efficiency gain does not offset the reduced charging time. In other words, the battery will get hotter when charging L2 than with L1.

Check your 240V circuit for its ampacity (probably 30 amps). This will allow you to use up to a 24 amp EVSE. Match the receptacle type with the plug on the EVSE. Be aware that the Energi charger maxes out at 16 Amps when charging with a L2 240V EVSE, so if you get a higher-current capable EVSE the car will only pull 16 Amps.

I got mine from Lectron. Even if you don't buy from them they have a decent website to help you at least see what kind of combos are out there.