Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Energi vs Regular Hybrid: Pros & Cons?

Philly Brian

Test drove a 2020 Energi this morning. It was the precise model I thought that I wanted - even down to the colors. Price was fair. Only 15,700 miles. I wasn't looking at plug-in EVs but began to change my mind after being told that I didn't have to plug it in to a fossil fuel burning electrical grid if I didn't want to. I was warned about the smaller trunk but that's OK with me. I was told about the Energi being heavier that the Hybrid. Looked it up and found it to be a difference of 339 lbs. (4,034 vs 3,695) That seems like a significant difference to me. I pictured buying a Hybrid, loading 339 lbs of bricks into it and wondering what sort of affect it would have. Wouldn't improve things that's for sure! Would it increase wear & tear on tires? suspension? If so, would it be noticeable? Some pointed out that I'd have to charge the batteries all the time if I ever expected to drive under 100% electric power on some short errand. Wasn't looking to hear that. I thought normal driving would serve to recharge them. If not fully, then at least enough to better the mpg of the regular hybrid a little. 

All the listings rate the mpg as 43/41 for either model. Seems like Ford/EPA might have half-assed the figures on the heavier Energi. I certainly would not want to buy the Energi, never plug it in and get fewer mpg than the Regular Hybrid. 

But still, I thought that having the capability to drive totally electric was something good to have in the ole tool bag. I've read many posts here about people stretching a tank of gas for months. One said he fills the tank only two times per year. In my area of Philly, I might be able to do that also given how close-by shopping centers, etc. are located. I can't be certain, but it is likely that the electricity coming my house is from a gas-fired plant. Much cleaner than coal or oil but still a fossil fuel. 

So I am sleeping on it for now. But probably leaning towards buying it. 

If you will frequently drive <20 miles round trip, the Energi is a great option. For people who need to travel more than 10-15 miles one-way consistently, the benefits are much less pronounced.

I haven't driven a '13-'20 Hybrid, but I can say I have no problem getting 45-46 MPG on the highway (65-70 MPH) in the summer, even in hilly terrain. I don't know what city MPG looks like in hybrid mode; I save the plug-in portion of the battery for those conditions and haven't even had an opportunity to measure it otherwise. A co-worker recently got a hybrid and has said he gets about 45 on the highway too, so it seems pretty comparable.

My wife is the primary drive of our Energi. Her commute is 4 miles each way. For a while we didn't use any gas for nearly a month, except for an occasional trip to an ethnic grocery store about an hour away.

There probably is a slight difference btwn the Hybrid vs Energi, but it is less than 1/2MPG so it doesn't even show in the EPA ratings.  My experience is similar to theterminator's.  I regularly get 45-48MPG when running on gas, but only do that when I'm on a trip too far for one charge, or on the freeway.  With combined electric use my current average is over 75MPG.  My norm is to fill up the tank about every other month, unless I do a long trip.

Even when plugging into the average USA grid (including coal), it's still cleaner to drive on EV than gas.  A 5 year old report I found online shows the PA grid to be as much nuclear as Nat gas, and ~18% coal, though I'm sure that's even less these days.  If you have solar, or a choice of a green electricity provider (apparently PA does), it's way cleaner.  Plus it is quite a bit cheaper to run on electrons than petro.

If you want to charge the battery only from the ICE, a regular "self charging" hybrid is what you want.  The benefit of PHEVs is you can plug in, then use EV mode to improve your mileage, reduce your costs and reduce pollution.  With a 240V charger at your home, you can charge a 2020 Energi in ~ 2-1/2 hours and get 25-30 miles from it.

Good luck!

There's usually a benefit of the extra weight: a smoother ride.  I've never driven a hybrid so can't say for sure, but the FFE is smooth riding.  As murphy said to me when I was dickering about buying mine, "It's a great car." 

At about $0.14/kWh in electricity costs, it costs about $1.00 for 20 miles.  That was appreciated when gas was over $5.  But if you're not keen on plugging it in, then you might want to cross-shop against hybrids for features and price.